Timing belt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt question

Is it possible to change the timing belt on a 93 Festiva without removing any motor mounts? It looks doable but want to make sure before I get the wrenches out.
    1993 Festiva GL
    new fuel pump
    97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

Yes!!
    newport tn
    88 262,000 4spd hit in rear
    91 224,000 5spd daily driver since 2000
    91 81,000 5spd second owner
    90 204,000 5spd
    93 automatic rolled 25,000

Comment

Yess!
      But i think i remember it being easier if you loosen one mount, to drop the engine down a little and make it easier to get to the crank pulleys
      Joey Richard Jr.

1991 Ford Festiva L; died but donated all her organs
      1988 Ford Festiva LX; EFI swapped in...actually everything swapped in

Quality is Job 1. Together, We Can Save Lives. Ford.

Comment

Definitely. I did mine without doing anything to the mounts, it just makes it a little easier to access the bolts if you loosen the passenger side mount and lower the engine.
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Why don't you want to remove the mount? Spending the time/effort to remove the mount makes the job 10x easier. How do you plan on removing the bottom pulley bolts?

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I will have to rent or buy a floor jack to support the engine which I'd rather not do if it is avoidable. Do you think it will be too difficult to get the crank bolts off if the engine mount is left on?
            1993 Festiva GL
            new fuel pump
            97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

Comment

since it's a 93 you have the small snout style crank pulley so i would assume it wouldn't be too hard to remove without taking off the motor mount using a flat wrench, as compared to the 88-92 crank pullies

what i would suggest is start by trying to remove the crank pulley, if that goes well then you shouldn't have to remove the motor mount

this is the style of crank pulley i'm assuming you have:
              Last edited by Damkid; 09-27-2008, 07:03 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Mattswabb is right. It's way easier to get it done if you just lower the engine. I used the jack that came with my festy to hold the engine when I tried it.
                "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

did mine in a parking lot in under 40 min without a jack and only 5(?) tools.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X