1/4 Tank = Empty?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 Tank = Empty?!?

Is it normal for an Aspire to run out of gas while still showing 1/4 tank?

This morning I started having the tell tale signs of running low on fuel. Very slight miss, loss of power, etc. When I made the turn off the interstate it spitted and sputtered a couple of times. (This is the second time this has happened with the spitting and sputtering when I’m at ¼ tank of gas and making a turn).

I put in exactly 7.55 gallons of gas with it filled to the top of the neck… (I wasn’t watching it and actually over filled it…)

So is this “normal” and will I have to fill up before it even hits the ¼ tank mark?!?!?! I should easily have another 50 miles in it… :cry:

Where I filled up, gas was $2.53. Where I usually fill up, 10 miles down the road, it was $2.41…. Grrrrrr. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy!! :x
    97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    97 Ford Aspire (Wanting 40 + mpg!!)
    95 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (For Sale)
    94 Ford T'Bird LX 4.6L
    73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V
    69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
    76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Maybe the little sock over the intank fuel pump is dirty? I had an old K car that used to run out at the halftank mark. Never figured out why, didn't matter as I only had it a few months then I was hit by an 18 wheeler with it.

Comment

my first festiva did that. (i only ran out of gas 3 times and once in front of a gas station) i sold it to my friend and he called me one night saying hes going kill my unborn children for his car breaking down. i asked him does it have gas in it, he said yea it says it has 1/4 tank i was like well your out of gas. i would ignore it just keep gas above 1/4 and youll be fine.

the one i have now did that but it was 1/8 tank and ive ran it out of gas twice, but i driften safly into a gas station both times. but you get use to telling when its close to running out then you head to the gas station.
      Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee
      2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Email: Nathan.Roe86@Gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I seldom let an EFI’d engine’s tank drop below a 1/4 tank, but this time I figured I was safe… NOT!! (I keep a 1/4 tank to keep the pump cooled).

I'm still trying to learn all the intricacies of this Aspire, so it is nice to know that things like this aren’t a problem that I have to fix. 8)
        97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
        97 Ford Aspire (Wanting 40 + mpg!!)
        95 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (For Sale)
        94 Ford T'Bird LX 4.6L
        73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V
        69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
        76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Comment

Working...
        X