tranny questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny questions.

hey all. just picked up a trans for my festiva... cost me about $270 after all was said and done. from a local yard, at least it has something around a 30 day warranty or whatever. don't care as long as it works. i did however have the possibility of a trans from a 93 festiva for much less. i read something about 4 bolt pattern, and 3 bolt pattern. would a trans from a 93 fit into, and bolt up to an 88 without mods? how hard would it have been to pull it from a junkyard car? (this was from pull a part). i didn't see it as feasable from a one man perspective, so i took the other route.

88 <--> 93 = no problemo!

From a u-pull it, issues are how rusted up the front suspension is = how hard it will be to pull it apart. If the halfshaft boots are blown on the donor, the yard may be willing to torch the shafts, which will speed things considerably, and as a bonus the inner joints are plugs keeping grit out of your new trans.

Around here, anyway, those kinds of yards will pull the motor/trans for you once you get it freed up, and don't allow you to take your own torches or jacks into the yard.

Comment

bummef! i could have saved a bunch of cash if i could have had a couple friends with me! ah well... at least this saves me a day of work. the yard i got it from torched the shafts, and the mounts... so eventhough these parts aren't usable anymore, they give me a visual example of how the tranny bits should go together when it is in the car (never done a fasty trans swap before). i think i should attend one of the festivals, see if i can land the geezer award, or the ugly award! ha ha ha. the car i own has 230,000 + a little more on it. impressive for such little machines. but then again, they aren't the kind of vehicle to get a lot of hard use, but a grip of freeway mileage. the trans i nabbed had about 60-70,000 miles less than my car (somewhere in the 160-170,000 range) and if my g/f car has 201,000 on it, and the tranny still functions well, i cna have an optomistic attitude about this one (it was actually a car that they were gonna fix up, and put out for sale as a whole unit). i would like to mod mine in the future, but first get the thing back together, and road worthy, worry about the fancy details later! thanks for the input. i may take a day to go up there, and search for bigger engines, and maybe some straighter bodywork (there are a few dings with the hood, adn feders, and could use another windshield). ha ha ha.

Comment

Working...
      X