stubborn CV joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stubborn CV joint

yeah... the passenger side CV joint doesnt wanna come out. been hammering at it for a while... i was gonna pull the trans outta the bottom of the car... so i was thinking maybe i can slide it out when i drop teh tranny? everything is disconnected... the spindle assemblies, the sway bar. wondering what might be keeping it in? anty ideas?

It won't come out of the tranny or the wheel hub?

Comment

replaced both of mine about 2 weeks ago. had far more trouble with the passengers' side than the driver's.

Once it's out of the hub about the only thing left to hold it in is the circlip in the differential.

I tried for hours to pry it out with large screw drivers and small pry bars. Nothing.

Finally got tired of messing with it and got outside the car, pushed it in as far as it would go easily (should be a little play in and out along the length of the shaft at the joints) and just gave it a few really good yanks (pushing it back in until it just stopped after each yank) and it finally came out.

No idea if this is recommended, and I prolly wouldn't if you had any hopes of re-using the drive shaft, but if you're replacing it anyway, as I was, I figured no biggie if I messed up the shaft.

Didn't do any damage to the seal.

Some have suggested using a slide hammer on it so I figure this was essentially the same process just w/o the tool rental.

Comment

yeah.,...we got it.... i used a crowbar forever trying to pry the fucker out...real big pain.... eventually, i got a couple friends (to help with the tranny swaP)... had them support and pull. it popped out. the CV is going bad, and the boot is ripped like mad, but it will suffice until i can pry out a decent replacement. shaft worked fine when i tested the car last night.

Comment

New Circlip?

Anyone know where I can buy new Circlips? Part #?

Thanks!
          Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
          Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

Working...
          X