'93 Festiva Hard to Steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 Festiva Hard to Steer

My wife's '93 Festiva is a lot harder to steer than my '89. Any ideas why that would be? I looked under it and don't see any noticeable problems like bad bushings or anything - just the usual torn tie rod boots but they still have some grease in them & they are not loose. No vibrations or erratic steering. Just harder to turn than my '89.
    Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
    Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

tire pressure or tire size diference?
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Comment

My aspire gets REALLY hard to turn if it's a few psi low on the front tires.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

No, tires all have 35 psi and all are same size. Now I am thinking maybe steering rack is low on lubricant? How do I check that?
        This car has 107,000 miles. My '89 has 130,000 miles & it steers very easily.
        Red '93 GL Auto & A/C

Comment

does it have power steering? if so, there's a reservoir under the hood. if it doesn't power steering, theres no fluid. The rack is permanently lubed during assembly. Jack up the front of the car so both wheels are off the ground, and check the steering effort. If its very light, you may have an alignment issue (excessive caster, etc) or bad strut bearings. If it still has higher than expected effort, check the column and rack for binding.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

No,
            It doesn't have power steering. Do any Festivas have power steering? I have never seen one. OK I will jack it up & check it like you say.
            Thanks for the suggestion!

Red '93 GL Auto & A/C

Comment

Working...
            X