Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stretched timing belt? Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretched timing belt? Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need help with my '88 Festiva. Here are the symptoms, it was smoking a little (mostly when first accelerating and when shifting) Pretty normal for a car with 220K on it. I was expecting the rings to start going bad. I was driving and it overheated so I pulled off to the side of the road. The fan wasn't coming on so I figure it was overheating due to that. I left the car on the side of the road and when I came back the next day I couldn't get it to start. I tried to compression start it but that didn't work either. I towed it home. I checked the plugs and one is slightly fouled but not horrible so I doubt the rings are gone (the engine blown). I've got spark, fuel, and air. The distributor is in tight so there is no way it could have got jogged around and messed up the timing. Also the belt isn't broken ( I checked by trying to crank the car over while looking in the oil cap hole in the valve cover and everything is moving inside) A buddy of mine told me that the timing belt could have stretched and jumped enough teeth to throw it all out of wack. Please let me know if this is possible, how likely, and any other suggestions you may have. Thanks for the help. I 'll be eagerly awaiting your replies.

Overheating without the fan coming on could be 1.) a bad temp sensor for the fan ,, or 2.) low on water where the sensor is dry and won't properly signal the fan...

Timing belts really don't stretch ,, they can jump time if the tensioner is loose , the teeth are worn/rounded or if they are lubricated by a coolant or oil leak.. the good news is that the 1.3 is a no interferance motor ,, ie. the valves will not crash a piston if/when a belt breaks...

With that said I'd still think the timing should be checked ... cylinder #1 is on the passenger side although using #4 would work also ... use a long shaft screwdriver to find TDC ,, work the crank back and forth and split the difference where you can first see the piston move from it's parked position and then compare it with the "0" mark on the cam sprocket...

I'd check closely for simple things such as loose vacuum lines..

Comment

The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

That timing belt instruction is the most straight forward, easy to understand information I've ever read on this site! Thanks for the link. The picture detail is perfect and the steps are laid out nicely. I'll be giving it a try soon.

Comment

Working...
        X