That's odd..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's odd..

Why does my car stall immediately after I remove the air intake tube from the throttle body? I have never heard of a car doing that. The car will also stall immediately if I yank the PCV valve out it's housing then pull it out of the hose. Also, it will stall if I pull those two smaller hoses off to the side of the intake tube out. What the hell? Oh, if anyone remembers, in that little underhood video, I showed two hoses that are unhooked? Well I found out where the small one goes. There's a small little port on the righthand side of the airbox that it appears this little hose attaches to, but on my Aspire the fitting for where it attaches has broke off. I guess I'll have the raid the junkyard for the airbox cover and that little hose.

The reason the car dies when you pull the air intake off the throttle body and when you pull the smaller hoses off of it, is because you don't have air flowing through your mass air flow sensor. As for the PVC valve your causing a huge vacuum leak, killing the motor.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid
      The reason the car dies when you pull the air intake off the throttle body and when you pull the smaller hoses off of it, is because you don't have air flowing through your mass air flow sensor. As for the PVC valve your causing a huge vacuum leak, killing the motor.

Hmmmmmm...How do I fix that? Do you think it would cause some loss of power?

Comment

These are not problems, in fact they are good. If your car did not die you would have a problem.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid
          These are not problems, in fact they are good. If your car did not die you would have a problem.

Ahh, I see. It's just that every other fuel injected car I've ever come across will run if you pull the tube off the throttle body. Once in a while I like to shoot some carb cleaner through the throttle body while the car is running to clean it out a bit, but I can't with the Aspire because it stalls as soon as I remove the intake tube. Maybe it's just sequential fuel injected cars that do this?

Comment

Lots of cars can run (not well) without meaningful input from their intake sensors.

Apparently, this isn't one of them.

Don't you know, carb cleaner can be bad for throttle bodies? Many TBs are coated with something to help prevent crap from building up on it.

You should really think about using TB cleaner instead.

Otherwise, switch to Seafoam Deep Creep or AMSOIL's Power Foam. GM Top Engine cleaner is nice also.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

the problem is not every car uses a mass airflow sensor. alot of neons and stratus dont honda doesnt either. , and you can run them fine with no intake tube.
              ythey have a map sensor.

Comment

you can get the car to stay running without the MAF connected. The reason the engine dies is that the fuel pump is switched to run when the MAF is open. The easiest way to keep the car running is to pop the airbox open and shove a stick or something cleaner into the door(gently, the pivot breaks easily) This fools the computer into thinking that there is air flowing through. The mixture will be rich and it might not have much power, but it should run.

I had to do that while figuring out why my TB was sticking open.
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

If he as an aspire with a MAF and not a festiva with a vane or whatever sensor.

MAFs have two little wires that are heated. The computer calculates how much air is ran across them by seeing how much voltage it takes to keep them heated.

The vane (whatever) sensor just tells the computer how open the little door is.
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                  Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

only one of those two resistor wires are heated in MAF sensors. Its a Wheatstone bridge / voltage divider.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

erm, ya, I keep thinking Mass and thus moving parts and stuff. I meant to say VAF.

Another way to get the car running is to jumper the fuel pump on. On the festiva there is a test connector by the MC that turns on the fuel pump when the key is set to run. I had the car running like this for a little bit when my VAF broke (OX SMASH) That pivot is really weak...
                      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                      X