Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I can't get Little Red running! A follow up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I can't get Little Red running! A follow up...

I am still in need of help with my '88 Festiva. Here are the symptoms, it was smoking a little (mostly when first accelerating and when shifting) Pretty normal for a car with 220K on it. I was expecting the rings to start going bad. I was driving and it overheated so I pulled off to the side of the road. The fan wasn't coming on so I figure it was overheating due to that. I left the car on the side of the road and when I came back the next day I couldn't get it to start. I tried to compression start it but that didn't work either. I towed it home. I checked the plugs and one is slightly fouled but not horrible so I doubt the rings are gone (the engine blown). I've got spark, fuel, and air. The distributor is in tight so there is no way it could have got jogged around and messed up the timing. Also the belt isn't broken and I checked the timing and it's perfect. I've looked for loose vacuum lines, bad electrical connections and have found nothing. I am boggled with this and my manual hasn't come from Amazon yet so I don't even know where to go next. The overheating is not my concern. I just need to get the s.o.b. to run. Any suggestions?

Could be the ignition module in the distributor. I've not had to replace mine (knock on wood) but I've heard that replacing the entire distributor is cheaper than buying just the module if you're going the new route. There's always the junkyard option too.

Good luck

Ian
    92 GL Sport
    Calgary
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

It's got good spark, so I shouldn't need a new module.

Comment

Do a compression test to see what the compression is you could of cracked some rings and have no compression. Should have between 150 to 175 psi. If you have good compression then pull the plugs and try to flood the engine to see is your getting gas only if you have fuel injection so you can tell you you have gas. If you have gas then leave the plug out and hold the number one pug wire next to the engine, have the key on and slowly turn the engine by hand and when the plug sparks stop turning an check to see if the number one piston is at the top of the cylinder you can do that by put a screw driver in the hole or use a flash light. If it is not at the top of the cylinder then your timing change could of slipped or stretched. IF it is not at the top of the stroke move it until it is at the top of the stroke and loosen the distributor and turn the distributor until the number on cylinder sparks. you are now ready to start the car after you tighten the distributor and put the plugs back in. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X