Tranny Noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Noise?

I'm getting an intermittent noise coming from the transmission. It's sorta a high pitched squeal (best way I can describe it, I guess)

Normally happens when I first start the car, when I press in the clutch pedal to start the car. It normally goes right way if I'm in neutral and release the pedal after starting it.

Doesn't happen much while driving it except maybe when I'm coming from a standstill at a light or whatever. Don't think I've noticed it any other time. But, it seems to happen whether going into 1st or reverse.

Checked the fluid level and that seems to be good (though I don't have a good place that's level to check it so my reading could be off?)

Should fluid levels be checked when the car is warm or does it matter? I know my Beretta (that's an automatic) has the fluid checked when it's warm, running, and in neutral. The manual for the Festiva doesn't specify the conditions under which the 5sp should be checked.

My guess is that it's a clutch issue. Correct assumption or no?

If so, should I replace the entire clutch and bearings or just something specific?

Not including parts, what should it cost to have the clutch replaced?

sounds like maybe the synchronizers are f'ed if that's the case tranny rebuild. For the clutch replacement if you are going to do it yourself it will be free for everything except parts otherwise call a mechanic, prices will differ between each so call a bunch.
    the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Sounds to me like the clutch release bearing is going ...

My 2cents ...
      Ice Racing is Still a Black art!
      1989 B6 Twin Webber Stud racer (mine)
      1990 B3 Stock Auto racer Welded diff (daughters)
      1991 B3 Stock Rubber class racer (wifeys)
      1993 B6 mustang embarrassing road car (mine)
      1992 B3 Parts car
      Assorted 323's

Comment

Working...
      X