fast idle cam switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast idle cam switch

I was setting the timing and the idle on my 89 L, and now i need to set the fast idle, but i cannot seem to find the fast idle cam so that i can put it on the 2nd setting so that i can adjust the fast idle. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    "If it's too loud, Youre too old!"
    Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on!"

well all i know of is there is the distributor that you move to change the idle and then there is the screw in the throttle body that allows you to move the idle up and down a little bit other than that i couldn't tell you.
    the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

The fast idle cam is under the choke thermostat (the round black thing with 1 wire going to it near the throttle linkage). The actual screw to adjust the fast idle is on the throttle shaft (not the one that's connected to the vacuum motor with the 2 hoses going to it). Adjusting the screw for the fast idle is actually opposite (IIRC) than typical - you turn it in (clockwise) to lower the idle and out (counter-clockwise) to raise it. I believe in order to do it right with the engine running (once it's already warm) - you would have to pull the vacuum line off of the choke pull off (the one with the single red stripe vacuum hose going to it) and plug it. Because once the motor is warm the pull-off is activated and it opens the choke all the way and takes it off of the fast idle cam.

Hope the helps, I wish I had a picture - it would probably make for a better explanation.

Comment

Thanks, That helps a bunch, Now i just need to go back out there and do it.. Thanks a million..
        "If it's too loud, Youre too old!"
        Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on!"

Comment

Working...
        X