car does not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car does not idle

my car wont idle if i take off the gas petals at all it stalls when i bought it they said it was the time but idk is there anything else i can do to get to idle a lot better
    1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9
    2001 hyundai accent 1.6 DOHC

check the timing and see if its off. how many miles does the engine have on it? if it has a lot what does it look like under the valve cover? is it black with sludge buildup? or is it more golden brown? is the check engine light coming on? if so you should check the engine codes. it might also be a vacuum leak, you should check the vacuum hoses and the intake tubing for leaks.
    the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

130,000 miles and when school starts in a week or so i will check the timing and the check engine light is not on
      1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9

Comment

pop off the valve cover it takes only a couple of seconds and can tell you a lot about how the car was taken care of. if there is a lot of sludge and the oil inside of there is black then you have an engine that hasn't been taken care of. the b3 should get at least 200k before it needs any major work done to it the original one in my car had about 270 before it started to knock. if you look under the valve cover and it is a nice shade of golden brown then the engine is fine and was well taken care of.
        the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

ok ill run out there and do that thanks
          1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9

Comment

chould it be my fuel pump
            1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9

Comment

when i let off the gas at all now it dies its getting worse and i havent done shit to it
              1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9

Comment

clean the air cleaner air sensor and the throttle body. make sure no vac hose are leaking. quick check with some throttle body cleaner. Check the plugs, and see if its arcing when its dark.
                69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
                97 Jag xk8 vert
                06 Mini Cooper S GP
                93 Stiva
                04 Volvo S80

Comment

Check the connector on the MAF. The car won't idle if it's disconnected or if the entire unit has gone bad. Might do you well to hook the thing up to a computer (are there handheld units compatible with OBD1?) and see what all your sensors are reading.
                  GT

Comment

me and my shop teacher looked at it we started it up(and kept on the gas)when i tapped the MAf it ran a little better so i think it might be bad
                    1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9

Comment

Working...
                    X