Idles high when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idles high when hot

When the car is really warmed up (after a 1 hr highway drive) it idles really high (2000 rpm). It's weird, cause you can gently drop the clutch, without touching the gas and the car will jump forward, like having a diesel. After it's in gear, the speed (rpm) drops.

When it's cold, it idles fine. I've read about a fast idle cam, but this was on carbed cars, mine's FI. Are there two idles (one hot, one cold) and are they adjusted differntly. If not, I'm thinking it could be the throttle cable stuck.
    I will NOT drive a minivan

check to see if the manual choke is sticking.

Comment

Happy Mom, is your Festy fuel injected? Is the idle speed erratic when warmed up or stable?

It could be the idle speed control-bypass air valve, (ISC-BPA), is sticking. The Haynes manual has a couple of ways to check the electrical side of the valve.

These valves can also get gunked up over time, they can be removed and cleaned with carb/choke cleaner. They are very expensive to buy from the auto parts store. :wink:
      Kevin
      '93 L (BP{T} Sold
      '90 L Plus Sold
      '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Originally posted by qaking
        Happy Mom, is your Festy fuel injected? Is the idle speed erratic when warmed up or stable?
        It's FI and the idle is stable, but high when hot. It idles OK when cold.
        I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Check the carburator and give it a good cleaning. That caused the same problem in my festiva more than once. Simple and cheap to fix.

Comment

lol guys, she's said multiple times that it's fuel injected and not carburated.
            GT

Comment

Working...
            X