Proportioning valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proportioning valve?

'93 Festiva...brake pedal sometimes would depress all the way to floor before brakes engaged...scary at first, but got used to the adrenaline rush...got my backyard mechanic to check stuff out, and after couple of times, settled on brake master cylinder. Replaced that with Advance Auto stock part. But fluid disappearing from reservoir. Eventually found Proportioning Valve leaking. Where do I find that part? Can we swap out with valve from another make or Aspire? Advice greatly appreciated. We are original owners of this Festiva..

You could try Festivamotorsport.com (best to call them) or place a want ad in our For sale forum here.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Take a look at one on a Aspire,probably the same!
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

i used to have one lying in the garage...don't know where it is at the moment though.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I bet the late 80's 323's are similar enough to use.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES View Post
            i used to have one lying in the garage...don't know where it is at the moment though.
            same here but i don't know where i last put mine

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by elcamino1 View Post
              Take a look at one on a Aspire,probably the same!
              yep, it is
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Proportioning valve skimatic/schymatic, oh heck...drawing?

well, been driving Festiva with leaking proportioning valve for couple of months now. No luck on finding a used one of either Festiva or Aspire in neighborhood/national junk yards. Considering taking it apart and replacing seals or whatever...but can't find a schematic of proportioning valve online or in my trusty Haynes book. Plus that means no transport while do the work....but can't keep adding brake fluid forever...anyone have an idea where to get a Schematic ?

Comment

Try one of the junkyards out on Highway 58 out by Suffolk and the Chesapeake airport. There are like six or eight of them. One of them should have a Festy or Aspire that you can get one off of.

I grew up in the Tidewater area of Virginia, that's how I know.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                  88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                  88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                  06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Where is it leaking from?
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

i'll try and find my extra tonight.
                      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by TealFestiva View Post
                        ..Considering taking it apart and replacing seals or whatever...but can't find a schematic of proportioning valve online or in my trusty Haynes book.
                        Service manual says this part is not serviceable. My nature is to try it anyhow but usually the mfg. is right. Let us know. Take pix if you try or even get it apart.
                        CZ

Comment

I took one apart on my '79 Chevy truck when it was almost new. It didn't leak but the rear brakes didn't do much of the work. Anyway, I gutted it and put it back together. The brakes worked great from that time on.

I don't know for sure how the Festiva part is made. There are different types for dual cylinder master cylinders. There the plain old distribution block with the sliding piston to contact the brake light switch in case of a leak. There's the combination valve. It will work like the distribution block but it will also shut off brake fluid to the end of the system that may be leaking. Then, there's a proportioning valve that simply adjusts the front/rear pressure. The festiva probably has the first example.

If it does, it may have a plug leaking in one end that you can remove and replace with a pipe plug. I'm not recommending you do this. Just that it might be a possibility. You can get into trouble messing with the brake system.

Comment

From what I read, besides proportioning pressure between front and rear, the valve also plays a part in the crossed brake system where the left front and right rear is one circuit, and the right rear and left front is the other.
                            Anybody know this to be true? When I had a left front brake line failure, I know I lost all braking. If there is a crossed system, it sure didn't work in my 90 at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                              From what I read, besides proportioning pressure between front and rear, the valve also plays a part in the crossed brake system where the left front and right rear is one circuit, and the right rear and left front is the other.
                              Anybody know this to be true? When I had a left front brake line failure, I know I lost all braking. If there is a crossed system, it sure didn't work in my 90 at that time.

Some of those blocks are plumbed to feed cross corner, some front/rear.

I've had similar total brake failures three times over the years due to rusted lines rupturing. In every case, the total braking loss was because the master cylinder chamber that fed the end of the system that DIDN'T fail had already started blowing by but was masked by the dual system brake feature. No brake warning light prior to that either.

I'm going out on a limb here because I only know enough to be dangerous. I believe if you have a combination valve (warning light, distribution and proportioning), if you get a leak in the brake system, the valve will prevent total brake loss due to one chamber of the master cylinder losing pressure.

If you have a distribution valve (warning light and distribution) you can lose all braking ability due to a leak in one end of the system or the other. The distribution valve doesn't really split the systems in two like the combination valve.

I might be corrected on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X