Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what about a taurus radiator in a stiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what about a taurus radiator in a stiva?

I have a '93 Festiva 5 speed with a blown radiator. My question: Is there any reason I can't swap the radiator from my dead taurus into the Festiva other than actually getting it to physically fit into the engine compartment. I know that the radiator should work fine, but the only thing that concerns me is that there are two very small plugs coming out of the side of the taurus radiator, and they were connected to two metal hoses (looks like a brake line, only slightly larger). The hoses disappear into the chassis and I couldn't find where they end up... any idea what they are and if I can just cap the two holes and put the thing in my festiva?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Is it an automatic transmission Taurus?

I think most automatic radiators have some small cooling function for the transmission, or part of the transmission.

Crawl under the Taurus and see if you can find the other ends of those hoses. I bet they go to your auto tranny.

Always remember I could be wrong! Also I'm just a "Festiva mechanic in training." A Taurus may as well be a Soviet T-72 to me.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The 2 metal lines are your tranny cooler. The problems in using another radiator in the festiva are:

1. Trying to get it mounted in the Festiva
      2. Hooking up the inlet and outlet coolant lines. The Taurus radiator inlet and outlet will be in a different place than the festiva and most likely will be a different size/diameter. I had quite a few hours in finding hoses that would fit the BP when I did my swap.

So it's up to you. Spend the money for a festiva radiator or spend time and money trying to install the taurus radiator.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense, yeah the taurus is an AT, I didn't even think of that. And it won't take any money... the pipes for the radiator are the same diameter as the pipes on the B6 I was using, so I already have reducers for it, since I'm running the B3 again, I can just turn the reducers around and use the big end for the radiator, small end for the engine, lol... as far as fitting, its the exact same height as the festiva one, just about twice as wide. it fits, and the inlet and outlet are in the right place, but the fill cap comes out on the opposite side from the festiva one, and that puts it right in the way of the air intake. I won't be going home again till next weekend anyway, so I have the entire week to think over whether to get a new festiva radiator or not. Thanks again...
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
        X