Emergency Brake Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Brake Repairs

I have a 1993 Festiva. I went to the garage to have it inspected and it failed because the emergency brake did not "click" when you pull up on it. How can I fix it please?

new handle assembly, sounds like the ratchet died. easy fix.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Just as I figured......

Thanks, I assumed that but was hoping maybe there was an adjustment to make. Thanks very much, Dale

Comment

next time you take it to inspector, pull up on it and make the clicking sound with your mouth, can you throw your voice, lol, or get one of those little hand clickers
        Last edited by milehighbear; 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM.
        Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
        93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Bull....clicking has nothing to do with the fution of the brake. What needs to be inspected is that it funtions...holds position. I would seriously challange the inspector.
          Many states have the safety inspection criteria online.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Joe, if he means it didn't click and didn't hold as a result, that will fail the e-brake in most states. However, haywardjr didn't specify wether or not that was the case.

Before you replace anything, remove the console around the brake handle, and check for junk and crud in the ratchet mechanism. Could just be soda and dirt...
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Emergency Brake Handle fixed

By removing the two bolts that hold the e-brake in place and unhooking the cable I was able to spray lubricant into the area of the small rachet-like of the brake mechanism and low and behold by the good graces after working it two to three thousand times it came loose and works perfect. no money-no spend- passed inspection fine.
              Last edited by hhaywardjr; 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM. Reason: goofed spelling, so sorry

Comment

sweet
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X