Spark Plug broke off in head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug broke off in head

Well, title says it all. Festiva had been sitting for 5+ years, people didnt use any anti seize on the threads and when attempting to remove one of them it broke off in the head.

I had used PB Blaster multiple times on the plugs and let it sit over a period of a couple of days before I tried to remove it.

Bad part is the only thing left in the head is the thread portion. The plug actually broke off where the nut portion goes to the thread. Needless to say, when I pulled the pieces of the plug out and saw the nut portion in my socket I was a little mad.

I even tried hitting in with some heat via a propane torch before I tried to remove it. I also tried some CRC Freeze Off to try and get it cold to remove it, no go on either method. I dont have access to an acetylene torch because its in my garage and not at work. Really dont wanna pay $80 to get it towed.

Anyone have any bright ideas besides an extractor or removing the head?

VIVA LA ANTI SEIZE!
    Last edited by GenevaDirt; 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM.
    Ben Tuominen

No Rotor, No Motor

This happened to a friend of mine, he ended up pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop. I hope you find a way to get it out. Is there a hole through the plug? Maybe an EZ out?
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
      This happened to a friend of mine, he ended up pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop. I hope you find a way to get it out. Is there a hole through the plug? Maybe an EZ out?
      I've actually got an EZ out in where the electrode used to protrude but cant find a damn socket to fit on the EZ out. EZ out end is a 19/64 or 7.5mm, good luck finding that damned thing.

I think Im gonna head to Menards and buy an internal pipe wrench or plumbers extractor set and see if I can't get the damned thing loose. I'll report back tomorrow on my progress.
      Ben Tuominen

No Rotor, No Motor

Comment

I got lucky, once, with an old volvo. The plug actually blew out of the engine, while driving. The ceramic center had separated from the thread, leaving the threaded part in the head. I was able to pound a large screwdriver into the hole, and was able to turn it out. This might not apply to you, since it has been sitting so long, but you never know.

Good luck with your extraction.

Scott
        Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

I have two things about this;

1/ There was a TSB on exactly this problem in 1988. Unfortunately, you are now at the point in the TSB that says "remove cylinder head and have a local machinist extract the remainder of the spark plug". I'm not kidding. For anyone else that encounters a stuck sparkplug; before applying so much torque that it snaps off, heat the head around the plug with a propane torch, while simultaneously cooling the plug with compressed air. After a few minutes, you should hear a ping or pop. Immediately remove the plug before it siezes again.

2/ A great story about a customer's vehicle;
          In 1996, I had a customer who had purchased a used 50k+ mile Festiva from out Used Car lot (Archway Ford, Baltimore, MD) come in with an intermittent misfire. The vehicle was out of both manufacturers warranty and our used car warranty. The misfire was caused by a failing sparkplug wire, just needed a basic tuneup. Well, this young lady would have none of that, she wanted the repair to be covered by warranty. After a shouting match between her and the service advisor, she took the car and left.

Well, the next day, she returns. Now the car has a dead miss, accompanied by some rather unsettling metalic noises. And, the young lady is VERY pleasant and appologetic for her prior behavior. Since I was the tech that looked at the car the day before, the service advisor asked me to look at it again...

Upon opening the hood, I began laughing so hard that I actually had to sit down on the floor right in front of car. I could barely breathe!! After the previous day's argument, she took the car to the local Precision Tune, about 6 blocks away. Apparently, the same issue occured when they tried to replace her spark plugs; They broke off #1 plug in the head, threads only. The tech then tried to remove the remaining portion with an EZ-Out, which also broke off in the head. He then tried to drill out the extractor, only to have the bit walk and ALSO snap off in the head!!! Being the enterprizing sort of individual this person apparently was, he then proceeded to drill a 1/2" hole in the head NEXT TO the original plug! Don't ask me how, I'm still amazed, myself... Anyway, he threaded the hole and installed the world's longest sparkplug, capped it off with the plugwire, and sent her down the road.

Upon removal of the head (go figure), I discovered the new plug had intruded into the cylinder block. That damaged the piston, and bent the connecting rod. The bent rod damaged the crankshaft. Also, the exhaust valve was seriously nicked and bent, which caused it sieze in the head. That cracked the rocker arm and distorted the rocker arm shaft. (yup, total cluster).

Estimate to repair? $6800!!! Mind you, she only paid $4500 for the car a few months prior. Long story short, she raised enough of a fuss with Precision Tune's insurer that they paid for the repairs!!!!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^Wow!
            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

And they called him a "mechanic"!!!!
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

i had to helicoil one of my cylinders on my 99 eclipse back 5 months ago. Did it without taking the head off with a re-threader kit. Been running ever since....knock on wood! I have a massive outie in my hood though.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                ---------------------------------------------------
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Pulling the head is the best.....any broken parts in the cylinder could eventually trash the valves.

Once the head is off and the electrode is knocked out...I would use caution with any type of extractor....the last thing you want to do is bust and extractor in the hole.

I would drill thru the center of the remaining plug....continuously increasing the drill bit size. Once I approach the minor diameter of the treads I would pick the tread out.

Make sure the head threads are cleaned well with a wire brush or chased with a tap.

Not that hard to do...I've had to make this save a couple of times

Here's some handy tools

Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

on my buddies bp+t festiva the number 1 plug hole was stripped out we used one of those helicoil kits without pulling the head, drilling and tapping filled the cylinder with shavings. we removed as many as we could and when we finally started it it misfired. i told him to go floor it and rap it out he did and at first spit and sputter than it popped out of it and ran great must have been stuck in the valve seat or in the plug. then he ended up running a 12.1 on the same motor..
                    YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

Joe, is there anything you don't have tools for?
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by ketchup View Post
                        on my buddies bp+t festiva the number 1 plug hole was stripped out we used one of those helicoil kits without pulling the head, drilling and tapping filled the cylinder with shavings. we removed as many as we could and when we finally started it it misfired. i told him to go floor it and rap it out he did and at first spit and sputter than it popped out of it and ran great must have been stuck in the valve seat or in the plug. then he ended up running a 12.1 on the same motor..
                        It's always the ceramic scrap I woory about screwing up the valve around the margin area.

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Joe, is there anything you don't have tools for?
                        Yeah a have a lot and yet a lot to go. I spent most of my life working with machines.....to the rest...normal car maintenance does not take a lot of tools. The only thing I would insist any one to invest in is a good set of box wrenches...and never buy any of those gimmick tools.
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I heard of one instance where this happened, and after the person tried beating on it, he started it up and the ceramic shot out of it. At taht point he took it to a place and the were able to extract it (with no damage to the engine). Perhaps you should run it a little and see if the ceramic parts comes out. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post
                            I heard of one instance where this happened, and after the person tried beating on it, he started it up and the ceramic shot out of it. At taht point he took it to a place and the were able to extract it (with no damage to the engine). Perhaps you should run it a little and see if the ceramic parts comes out. Maybe you'll get lucky.
                            ... just make sure no-one is standing in front of the engine when you try it!
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada
                            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                            X