'93 Alternator into '89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 Alternator into '89

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for installing an alternator from a '93 fuel injected auto trans Festiva into an '89 Carbureted manual trans Festiva. They use different connections. I only want to do this because my '89 alternator is going bad (very noisy) and I have a good one for a '93 with the correct plug. I would just need to splice on the '93 plug but I don't know what color wires go where or their functions. Both alternators are 45 Amp. Anyone do this before?
    Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
    Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

I think I got it now. I believe I can leave the brown wire as it is. I just need to cut off the plugs for the black wire and the red wire. Then I can splice the '93 plug onto the '89 wiring harness using the red and black wires. I'll post whether it works or not.
    Red '93 GL Auto & A/C

Comment

Forget it. The '93 is a 3 wire alternator with a bigger pulley while the '89 alternator is a 4 wire with a smaller pulley. I also noticed that the alternator wiring was smaller gage on my '89 wiring harness than on the '93 wiring harness. Since I didn't want to risk frying any wires, etc. I ordered the correct '89 alternator from RockAuto.com. It was only about $97 after returning a core. That beats the $135 - $155 locally.
      Red '93 GL Auto & A/C

Comment

Working...
      X