What is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is....

....the little filter inside the air cleaner (carbed car) that sits in the little spot where the hose from the valve cover goes to? Can I get this at a local parts store?

i dont know the actual name but its the filter for the pcv valve if i'm not mistaken and its not that big of a deal cause my friends maverick has one and we took it off and it still runs fine

Comment

it's the pcv filter (as said), it is available at almost any arts store for a few dollars, and running without one for prolonged periods of time will lead to excessive engine wear (unfiltered air entering the crankcase).
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I can't seem to find anything online at the local parts stores. Should I just go in and ask? Is there anything in the Help section?

Comment

you can get just the filter media in the HELP section for a few dollars, usually
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

breather filter

thats called the breather filter, part # B15054M PUROLATOR, its like a fiber filter shaped into a small square fits right into the pocket under the air filter cover up front. i change mine once a month or when it gets black. cost around $1.79 at advanced auto.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: added more info.

Comment

I have a commercial floor buffer pad that is almost identical to the original filter that I have been cutting pieces out of for this. If all else fails, I'll send you a couple already cut to shape.
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
              88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
              88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
              06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm going to stop at Advance on my way home from work and see what they have. The one in my car is disgusting and it has some kind of white chunky/creamy buildup in it. Thats not a sign of a problem is it? I was thinking it was just from me cleaning with some foamy engine degreaser (wasn't paying attention and picked up the wrong can, ha).

hawkdoc60: I'll definitely hit you up on that if I can't find anything. I appreciate it. I'm just going to try to find it here so you don't have to ship anything.

Comment

that could be the first indication of a blown head gasket...
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Well crap....it better not be =( I'll put a new filter in it and see if it does the same thing. Are these pretty easy to do a head gasket on?

Comment

yes, pretty dang easy.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Could a head gasket problem cause my driveability issues (bucking/jumping etc)? The car has never used any coolant, except for when my radiator cracked, ha. But when that happened, it never ran hot or anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X