core support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• core support

who here has replaced a festiva core support? is it a bolt in or a weld in support?

It's a weld in piece.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

...but depending on how bad the damage is, you can fix it with either a weld or a piece of angle iron bolted in place with industrial strength bolts I think they are gauge 10. the most common problem that I see is that the place where the trans/engine bolt up to rusts away and they fall down on the sway bar. why do you want to replace it?
      89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Yep, that's what happened to mine, the engine cradle is now sitting on the sway bar.
        Wouldn't it be cool to have a bolt-on replacement!!
        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
        Mark S.

Comment

very few now-a-days are bolt it on cars....trucks on the other hands is a different story.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
          ---------------------------------------------------
          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

mine is starting to rust pretty bad now. i think im just going to fab up some plates, cut the rust out, and weld them in

Comment

My first Festiva had the same problem with the core supprt.

I ended up welding a piece of steel over the rotten section.

It held up fine for me, and as far as I know is still doing so for the current owner.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

So did you end up drilling holes in this new plate to bolt the engine cradle to, or did you just somehow weld the cradle to the new plate? I know I have to get it done, at least for a temporary repair, but not sure how to go about doing it (that is, what to tell the welders to do , since I can't do it myself)

I was thinking this: make a plate, drill holes to line up with the mounting holes in the cradle, weld nuts to the backside of the plate. Weld in the new plate. Bolt in cradle. Or am I making this too complicated? (I always do).
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                X