The oil in the intake thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The oil in the intake thing...

While taking things apart to change the seals yesterday I was reminded that I get a bunch of oil in my intake pipes. So much, in fact, that here was some on the air filter

I'm NOT inclined to go to all the trouble of replacing the valve stem seals on an otherwise good engine, so I came up with a possible solution (kinda ). The lowest spot in the circuit is right where the first section of rubber pipe joins the VAF. So, I drilled a ~1/4 hole in the underside of the pipe there so the oil can drain out. But we don't want air leaking in there so I took some cotton clothes line rope, tied a knot near the end and poked it through the hole from the inside. I then tied another knot on the outside, snug against the pipe, and left a few inches hanging down. It's too soon to tell if it works, but the idea is that when the car is parked the oil will run down there, soak the rope and drip out.

oil in the inlet tube isn't caused by bad valve stem seals (they would cause oil consumption and blue smoke in the exhaust). Oil in the inlet is caused by excessive blowby. Blowby is combustion gases pushing past the piston rings. A clogged PCV valve can cause normal blowby to push oil into the inlet thru the crankcase breather tube, which is tied into the inlet.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
      oil in the inlet tube isn't caused by bad valve stem seals (they would cause oil consumption and blue smoke in the exhaust). Oil in the inlet is caused by excessive blowby. Blowby is combustion gases pushing past the piston rings. A clogged PCV valve can cause normal blowby to push oil into the inlet thru the crankcase breather tube, which is tied into the inlet.
      correct. Replacing the pcv works everytime, 70% of time...

Comment

Well, it doesn't work for me

Comment

Do you have access to a compression tester? When mine was doing this, it turned out to be bad rings on two cylinders. At first it was no big deal, then would get worse and worse, and ended up having low enough compression that it would miss at times and lacked a lot of power.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
          X