Another bad day for my fest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bad day for my fest.

So on top of all our snow melting, we have had an absolute monsoon today. Rain rain rain rain all day long. The last time it got like this I had a bunch of corrosion form in my distributor cap. Well I was out with my girl today doing some running around and noticed the engine was missing here and there, nothing serious. Eventually it got to where if you applied too much pedal in 5th it would pretty much die, and then worse and worse to where you had to pretty much idle it to get anywhere, any gas pedal would kill the engine.

On my way back I bypassed going home and headed straight to napa uptown where I originally got the cap and rotor back in May/June. On my way up there the car stalled a few times at an intersection out here in the country, started getting it going and BOOOOOOOOM HUGE backfire twice, blew the muffler apart. Dangit my quiet festiva now sounds like an angry swarm of bees and the guy in the truck behind me prolly crapped himself.

It turns out I had the cheapy cap/rotor and not the nice echlin (much MUCH better part) that I thought I had. I paid the difference on the parts and swapped them out in the parking lot in the middle of the monsoon (read: SOAKED).

Now the car runs and isnt missing but has absolutely NO power and sounds like crap. I cant even hold 55 in 4th. Not even enough power to do that. It also idles at like 300 rpms maybe, REALLY low. Like it wants to die. It also smells awful like theres just tons of unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. But no smoke.

Any ideas? I think Ill start by taking the muffler out, maybe its plugged up now or something. Ill probably pull plugs too. Make sure they aint all fouled out.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

It sounds to me like your timing belt skipped a tooth or two. Either that, or your distributor timing is way out of whack.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

HEY! Dont link me with your Festivas problems! :p
      BTW Id go along with hawk. Might be a clogged fuel filter as well. But it sounds more like a timing issue.
      Last edited by MONSOON; 02-11-2009, 08:21 PM.
      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
      - Unknown
      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Yea I was gonna check timing but never got the chance, weather moved in outta nowhere. Cant get the car in the garage cause my dad just traded his bike for an 85 EXP with a tube chassis and built 460 etc etc race car. And that car obviously needs to be kept inside out of the weather.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Are you sure you didn't mess up the firing order?
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

I'm guessing you crossed two plug wires when you changed the cap. Check your firing order.
            Chuck
            Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
            If money will fix it, it's not broken
            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
            93 GL - Lil Red
            91 L - Tweetystiva
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

SORRY Brian, ^^ guess I should type faster.LOL
              Chuck
              Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
              If money will fix it, it's not broken
              91 GL -Ol' Rusty
              93 GL - Lil Red
              91 L - Tweetystiva
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                Are you sure you didn't mess up the firing order?
                That is a good point, too. I sometimes overlook the simple possibilities because it seems the simple things never happen to me. LOL
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Everyone sounds right with the timing issue. You would be amazed on how much a tooth can do in your timing. Also check the rotor and spark wires.
                  "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
                  The little Festy that could...and did!
                  (Gone on to a new life)
                  -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

Comment

missfires can eventually cause cat failure, remove o2 and check for backpressure. just a thought.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I was thinking maybe he got water under the cap our in the spark plug wire ends. I'd sparay some wd-40 in all the ends and the cap to disperse any moisture.
                      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                      #2 .....Cheesehead
                      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                      #4 .....Montana Project
                      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                      Bought her back for $450
                      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

I took the air hose to the dizzy and cap and all the wire ends, no help, maybe ill try wd40.

Pretty sure the firing order is okay but of course Ill double check. And of course check the ignition timing. If cam timing jumped then I dont know what to do right now, way too cold and windy to mess with that right now.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Okay I got it running good, the new rotor took a crap, defective part.

BUT now the car is horribly loud and a slug. Took the stock muffler out and my dad put a muffler from his '64 Harley FLH that he got rid of over 25 years ago... cut the flange off the stock muffler and welded to the harley muffler, its a perfect fit. Outlet is right at the bumper and everything. Only problem is that its more of a resonator than a muffler. Its barely any quieter than wide open. No backpressure left either, and the car lost a ton of torque. Feels like crap. Ive got a small glasspack thats louvered inside that I want to put under the middle of the car, it would probably help a bit but thats still a straight through muffler.

Anyone have a stock muffler they'd like to throw my way that doesnt have the front of it blown open?
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I just bought a new one for like $25 from Advance a couple weeks ago.
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

The difference between napas cheap and good cap/rotor was only $12.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X