Setting the back wheels free!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting the back wheels free!!!!

Yeah so i know the title sounds like burning some massive rubber. But this isn't about that. I was wondering if you guys know of anything that will eat the rust that has formed on the back rims of my bro's scrap festiva? My front tires are as bad as you can stand and these are like brand new.

We will resort to the 15lb sledge if necessary but I'd rather get like a rust eater or something. We took the lug bolt's outta the back end all 8 and these puppies wouldn't budge. So Gforce and I jumped in the back and stated thrashing up and down and there still locked solid. any thoughts?

next time gobs of never-cease...

if you are careful and the car still runs you can put the lugs back on but not all the way and drive or push the car around. if you dont want to do that i use a really good rust penetration called JB-80 it can be hard to find but it is worth its weight in gold
    -rev till the valves float grab second and haul ass-

Comment

doesn't run

Its the car I have been giving away parts to, no front tires, or calipers, engine is shot, It can't move, he wants to know if there is something we can use that will release the bond that the rust has made from the inside of the rim, to the back drums.

Any trick anyone knows of?

He needs the tires, because his inspection is due, and already got one ticket

Logan

Comment

If you don't care about the wheels, try drilling a few holes in them and squirting a lot of penetrant oil in there to see if that loosens it up. Use a hard mallet or even a hammer to hit the wheel to help the oil.

If that doesn't work, you could tap some of those holes you drilled and screw in some bolts which should bear upon the drum and maybe push it off?

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

just hit them from behind with the sledge. If you're afraid of denting/damaging the wheels, use one hand to hold a section of 2x4 up to the edge of the wheel and the whack it with a 5 lbs sledge in the other hand. I work in a garage and this trick has never failed, although sometimes they DO put up one hell of a fight.

Comment

Yup the whacker worked

Yeah GForce and I beat the snot outta the rims and got them free. We had the whole junker rocking on the stands.

Upside though i had a nasty wheel shake at 65-70 now its smooth as silk. Too bad that i have to give them back to Gforce because i have my own on order.

Comment

Working...
            X