Window track help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pocket_Rocket View Post
    Well, it depends...On my car, I usually wait 'till the window won't go up anymore to replace the mechanism. But from personal experience, the window tracks are usually the culprit; the mechanism is collateral damage, because there's too much friction from the rubber tracks, which leads to more stress on the mechanism. And it doesn't help that the mechanism is a poor design; I've taken one appart, and it's basically a drum with a cable wrapped around it a couple of times, kinda like a winch drum. I'm on my third mechanism on my driver's door; the first one failed because the cable became entangled inside the crank mechanism, which led to wear until it snapped, and on the second one, the metal shaft on which the crank snaps on to shattered a month ago. But in both cases, it was because I neglected to lube up the tracks. So like the others said, start by doing that and see if it works. It's never a bad thing to do it even if your windows work properly.
    Oh yeah I see what you are saying. I guess my problem isn't the actual track but the thing that my window crank actually connects to snapped off so I have nothing to connect the crank too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
      Oh yeah I see what you are saying. I guess my problem isn't the actual track but the thing that my window crank actually connects to snapped off so I have nothing to connect the crank too.
      Interested in the fix for this myself.. my drivers door window is the same way (window spline/nub that the crank goes on was sheared off by the farmer trying to take off the door panel).

Being Canadian, it's seriously interfering with my Tim Horton's daily coffee fix.

(For those in the US, Timmy's is like Krispy Kreme, just add the addictiveness of McDonalds and Wal-Mart and a bit of the trendiness of Starbuck's). And apparently we have more coffee shops per capita than any other country on Earth.
      Carz:
      '09 Ford F-150
      '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
      '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
      225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
      ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Working...
      X