what else should i do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what else should i do ?

im trying to prevent breakdowns on the road.i have an 88 festy 4 speed.90280 miles.heres what ive done.used starter,new alternator(2 yrs) new oil pump,water pump,upper and lower hoses,thermostat,alt,belt,oil pan gasket,valve cover gasket,timing belt,tensioner,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,air filter,breather,pcv,fuel filter,battery is fine,all done jan 09, new brakes all around,new master cylinder,wheel cylinders, done 08 new tires feb,09. i change the oil and filter every three thousand miles and ad restore to the crankcase.what else is there ? o2 sensor? egr valve if it has one ?anything else ? thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM. Reason: added more items

Buy a folding Bicycle to take with you.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

bicycle

i did by one.i took my back seat out and stashed it back there. what else ? oh yeah i also have a pair of roller blades and ice skates. what else ?

Comment

Your car does have a EGR valve being that its carbed. But how about the wheel bearings? Atleast have them checked/repacked if not replaced.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

carry a spare coil and a can of brake clean.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd go over the car cleaning, lubricating, top-to-bottom, inside-and-out, as time permits and you will see things that need to be done. Engine and driveline should probably be given priority.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

try this:

have faith in the Festiva you drive

I am the original

Comment

good ideas

xtra coil,brake cleaner,i have three spare festys two straight drive one auto, ill take the coil out of one of them for a spare. i already took the headlights out for a spare back up.i live in the mountains about 3500 feet elevation.hate to get caught with a light out.

Comment

that is an EXTENSIVE list. I would say that thing is good to go till 500k miles
                  Ian Carr
                  88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
                  99' S70 T5M- faster DD
                  86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

I don't know if you already thought of this, but it would not hurt to carry a metric set of sockets and wrenches from 8mm-21mm. Also other normal tools that would be in a breakdown kit like screwdrivers, etc.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

That's a lot of maintenance work there. Did all those parts fail, or do you just like replacing parts at random? I've clocked about 300,000 miles in my Festivas(and my dad has another 100,000+ in his), and we've never had to replace many of those parts(alternator, starter, oil pump, water pump, master cylinder, wheel cylinders). I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance and replacing wear items when necessary, but it looks like you've done a lot of work on non-wear items. Replacing parts that don't need replacing gets expensive. I guess I don't know though, maybe they did need replacing, but definately not normal for these cars, especially with that few of miles on the vehicle.
                      Last edited by gdawgs; 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I would say that youre good for a while. Unless you start pm'ing front end parts/wheel bearings, theres not much left is there? lol

Comment

Join AAA!!
                          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                          Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                            Join AAA!!
                            lulz i read that and only saw the first two a's

Comment

break down ?

i love my festy its the best car i ever owned.believe me ive owned plenty of cars in my life. after all the work i done to my festy she still idles high. i poured sea foam in a full tank this morning still idling high. so what do you think ? no wise ass cracks please.

Comment

Working...
                              X