Headlight question.... Astro not Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight question.... Astro not Festiva

Having an issue with the headlights on my '97 Astro. The daytime running lights are on when they're supposed to be (they are the low beams dimmed slightly). The park lights come on when they're supposed to. The headlights do not come on either on low beam or high. I know that all the bulbs are good as they have been checked/tested.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

A bad headlight switch.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

but wasn't Astro a dog? didn't know he had headlights

I am the original

Comment

^^^ if you don't have something helpful to say, don't say it... unless its the arena or the or off-topic forum. And Brian is probably right, its probably the headlight switch. If you need a known good used one PM me, I have a couple of Astros right now and a mess of parts. Got any pics of your van? I love these things, my family practically collects them
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

actually, your daytime lights are your (should be) highbeams that run through a resistor on the ground side. an there's a TSB about the resistor that sits in the passenger side frame well, below the headlamp assm. remove the assm. and look down on the frame for a "u" shaped resistor (they go bad). you can replace, or remove it. if you remove it, there's something else you have to do but i can't remember at the moment.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

come to think of it I think dad had that done on his '95 at some point (resistor replacement). Both mine are '94 so they have the chunky square lights where the high and low beams are in one bulb and no DRLs, but fog lights under the bumper (which I have wired into the ignition circuit as DRLs on one of mine)
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              ^^^ if you don't have something helpful to say, don't say it... unless its the arena or the or off-topic forum. And Brian is probably right, its probably the headlight switch.
              GEE , Touchy , touchy!!!!!!

and if my opinion is exactly what Brain said??

all all an astro van is good for is a taxicab or a great dog house at the scrapyard

I am the original

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj View Post
                GEE , Touchy , touchy!!!!!!

and if my opinion is exactly what Brain said??

all all an astro van is good for is a taxicab or a great dog house at the scrapyard

I have seven kids..... nuf said
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

i have no kids but i like ridin in comfort while towing cars and boats and keeping all my tools and gear inside outta the elements. Nuff said
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I opt on the headlight switch also.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

On further investigation this afternoon it turns out that when it's in DRL mode the low beams are on full power when it should be the high beams at reduced power. When I turn the headlight switch on, the low beams go out. Could it be that the high/low beam switch could be done for because when I try to turn on the high beams nothing happens?
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

I have a haynes manual for the vans, I will try to take it somewhere with a scanner this afternoon and get you a copy of the wiring diagram for the headlights. Its a '97 correct? Love the new quote in your sig btw
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^^^ Thanks for the offer. I have the Haynes manual already.
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X