Removing windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing windshield

I did the search and it was gone. How do you pull the windshield trim without tearing it up? I bought the removal kit from HF so I have 72' of wire and two nifty handles. I just don't Know how to get the trim off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    88 Festiva 5 speed
    89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
    93 parts car(not much left)
    89 free parts car 5 speed
    03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
    05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

when festivawes wakes up he can help ya
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I'll bring the tool home today and take a picture of it for you. You should be able to find it in most auto repair stores. its about 8 dollars and it will save you the hassle of finding new ones.

At the subject at hand you basically use it as a drag and pick or pick and roll tool.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I took a plastic trim tool and got up under it but know where to go from their. The way the sides overlap the bottom and slide under the top piece I guess there is an order of removal but do they slide off flat or fold out or what? I also read something about broken clips that can be had at Kia. Are those the clips that hide the joints on top and bottom center? I'm, still lost and confused in Florida.
        88 Festiva 5 speed
        89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
        93 parts car(not much left)
        89 free parts car 5 speed
        03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
        05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

uploading the pic of the tool i use right now.

Comment

^good, because I want to see what it looks like so I can take out a windshield for my Galaxie.
            -Josh R

Comment

And there is my janky craftsman toolbox in the background loaded with snap-on tools!

Comment

basically you lift up the moulding like you did...start on one of the sides. Insert this tool and drag it where a clip is with curling motion like you would use a rachet pop it free from the moulding. Easy as pie.

Comment

Or you can use this type. I prefer these, and have used the one with the dirty tape for the last 24 yrs in the glass business. You may want to take note that the plastic clips you will likely need some of fit Mazda 323s, rx7s etc. CarPak part # 815391, or 916882. Glass shops *should* still have some around. Email me if you get stuck. I am going home now, and don't always get the chance to look in on FF.com every day.

Michael
                  Have owned 9 so far
                  White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                  Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                  Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                  Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                  Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

tape vs. urethane

If you prefer to change your own windshields like me, I would recommend using windshield tape rather than urethane caulking when reinstalling. Just in case you will have to change it again in the future. It's much easier to cut with the knife blade + it doesn't make such a mess if you get it all over yourself. I would also buy a new set of Festiva windshield clips before I start the trim removal. Good luck.

Comment

Don't use byutol (sp)...there is a reason that major car manufacturers don't use it anymore. Mainly because it can't hold the force of a person in a head on collision if they are not wearing a seatbelt. that and it does NOT unitize the cars structure together. Have a professsional do it.

Comment

I agree!!!!! It is amazing just how much strength is gained by bonding the windshield to the pinchweld opening. I will throw out a basic figure of the difference in strength butyl vs urethane.... butyl tape has 40 lbs of retention strength vs urethane 600-1000 psi. There are too many other technical specifications I could go into as to why windshields and backlites are now bonded to save weight, add strength to the cage construction of a unitized body, resistance to torsional loads, etc.

Michael
                        Have owned 9 so far
                        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
                        X