replacing CV boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing CV boots

Is there an easy way to change the front cv boots?Both of mine are ripped to pieces and make an annoying sound when driving.Any help apprec.Thanks

Yep, changing the boots is easy. Between my two Festivas, I've probably changed close to 10 of them. The key to boots is you need to keep an eye on them. I always inspect mine every oil change. As soon as you see a tear, you need to change it right away. If you don't, all the grease leaks out, and you get dirt in the joint, which wears them out. Sounds like your joints are already shot. In which case, you'll need to replace the axles(which involves the exact same process as changing the boots except it's easier, since you don't have to replace the boots, it's already done for you). Rebuilt axles usually go for about $60 each. Here's how to do it.
    1) Jack up the car and place on jack stands.
    2) Remove wheel.
    3) Remove Axle nut(sometimes a bugger to get off)
    4) Remove tie rod end cotter key, and nut, remove tie rod end from the hub assembly.
    5) Remove ball joint nut, pry down on the stabilizer bar and remove ball joint(usually a bugger as well)
    6) Pull hub assembly off of axle.
    7) Pry axle out of tranny(sometimes they come out easy, other times requires explatives)
    8) Insert rebuilt axle and assemble in reverse order.

Did I miss anything?

Also, since you have it all apart, you might as well replace the oil seals for the axles/tranny.

If everything comes apart easily, I've done it in less than 30 minutes.

Comment

you can buy the one where you dont have to remove the axle you just wrap around BUT DONT EVER USE THEM they leak and compe apart, just as bad as a riped boot.
      Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee
      2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Email: Nathan.Roe86@Gmail.com

Comment

I have heard similar reports about the half boots. I wouldn't use them either.

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs
          4) Remove tie rod end cotter key, and nut, remove tie rod end from the hub assembly.
          5) Remove ball joint nut, pry down on the stabilizer bar and remove ball joint(usually a bugger as well)

Did I miss anything?
          I did both of mine a couple of months ago. Don't recall having to remove the tie rod but I did take the clamps off of the stabilizer bar. Couldn't get the ball joint out to save my life w/o it. Did go back in far easier than it came out, thankfully.

You're right, though, not counting the time required to get all the darn nuts and such loose, it's a fairly quick operation.

Originally posted by gdawgs
          7) Pry axle out of tranny(sometimes they come out easy, other times requires explatives)
          LOL, I thoguht for a second there it said "explosives" :-P

Comment

Yeah, I suppose you could get the hub assembly off without removing the tie rod end. Just kind of standard routine.

Explosives would probably do the trick as well!

Comment

Working...
            X