Brake problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problems.

I changed my front brakes and they looked my rear brakes but i still get a sqeek now and then from the rear when i stop. I also feel that my e bake isnt working. i think the cable ist broken but i might need to adjust it. How to i check these 2 problems.

Doaes anyone know what the size and thred is for the rear axle nut?
    any help would be great.
    :protest:1990 Ford Festiva

Squeeking rear brakes....just a couple of causes:

Excessive dirt/brake dust.

Loose mounting hardware.

Under adjusted (my guess if the e-brake is not functioning)

Rust between the shoe and the backing plate. When ever the shoes are removed, the contact areas between the show and backing plate must be cleaned and a light film of hi-temp grease must be applied...the Hanyes manual has an illustration.

Before going after the e-brake cable...make sure the brakes are properly adjusted or that the adjuster are working...not bound up. Whenevr I remove and re-install any drum, I adjust the brakes so that the wheel will not freely spin with the wheel off the ground. I can spin it freely by hand but can not it to freely spin more than a turn with a could attempt by hand. Adjusting the e-brake cable is only required to compensate for strech in the cable....not that it doesn't have to be done on occassion...it not normal maintenance.
    Last edited by jglutz; 02-20-2009, 09:56 PM.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
    X