trans. strut bar bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans. strut bar bushing

This is a quick, easy and cheap fix i did for my Festiva. I'm talking about the rubber bushing in the strut that runs from the shifter to the trans.

Here is a picture of a shock absorber bushing for a 1960 CJ-5 jeep. you will need two to do the job. Mine had dissolved from oil saturation over the years. Just remove the remains of the old one, be sure to keep the metal sleeve. Push a bushing in each side, it can be done using your thumbs, Then put the metal sleeve back in the center of the two bushings after you have put them in. On mine it was a perfect fit. Then all you have to do is bolt it back up. These bushings can be gotten at any 4-wheel drive shop and can also be gotten made out of poly urethane. I paid .75 cents apiece for my rubber ones. The poly ones will probably be more.
    1960 willys pickup
    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
    1989 festiva
    1990 festiva for parts
    1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

That was a great idea. I never thought of this, though i was trying to come up with a viable substitute my self. Great job! :hello1:
    Last edited by hawkdoc60; 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Forgot to put in my original post above, the older jeeps used two piece bushings, four per shock. Adding this so no one will buy the newer style one piece ones which would be a pain to install.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Anybody that's done this have a part number? I just called 4 wheel parts wholesalers but they only have one piece bushings.
        88L 328,000 winter daily driver
        93L 167,000 summer daily driver (AC)
        90LX 374,000 swap candidate
        88LX black- parts
        89LX burgundy-parts
        91L red-parts

Someday my ship will come in. With my luck, I'll be at the airport. (aviation machinist)

Comment

I bought mine from Walck's Four Wheel Drive. Item # 637936 75 cents apiece. You will need 2.

phone # 610-852-3110 They also have a web site.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

Comment

how's it feel?
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just placed the order. The ones on one of my cars were completely gone.
              88L 328,000 winter daily driver
              93L 167,000 summer daily driver (AC)
              90LX 374,000 swap candidate
              88LX black- parts
              89LX burgundy-parts
              91L red-parts

Someday my ship will come in. With my luck, I'll be at the airport. (aviation machinist)

Comment

Here are 2 pictures of them installed on a spare shifter I have. I don't drive my Festiva very hard, so I can't really tell you how they feel, but I no longer have the occasional knock that I use to feel in the shifter and it did take some of the slop from the shifter although very little I think because at the same time I also replaced my shifter bushings.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

Comment

Working...
                X