Broken thermostat bolt!! Arghh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken thermostat bolt!! Arghh!

So I broke the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing by over-tightening it....snapped right off with only a little thread showing. Tried getting it with vise grips, didn't work. Then I went out and bought a center punch and left handed bit set, also didn't work. Do I have any more options? I drilled out so much I don't even think an easy out would do anything. Please help an idiot out!
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

drill it all the way out. The point where the bolt attaches does not go into the head. I have drilled 1 out and stripped one out....I put a longer bolt through the hole and used a nut on the backside. Also fixed Seths car that way. Not a major deal.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Nice!! If this works you are my hero!!!
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

It will work...trust me....lol
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I'm about to pee my pants with excitement to get this done! This car needs to be driven. Thanks!

Comment

Don't forget about helicoil thread repair. You can replace the stock thread size and pitch into a slightly oversize hole. Special sized bits are available where helicoils are sold.
            I'm not a helicoil salesman nor do I play one on TV. But they do work.
            cz

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
              Don't forget about helicoil thread repair. You can replace the stock thread size and pitch into a slightly oversize hole. Special sized bits are available where helicoils are sold.
              I'm not a helicoil salesman nor do I play one on TV. But they do work.
              cz
              Yeah, I had this in mind thinking it was my last option, but I wanted to get advice from all the fellas on here. Since I don't have the helicoil tools I think drilling it out and putting in a longer bolt and nut might be my best/easiest option. I only have one day a week to fiddle with the car, so I have to wait til next tues. to work on it again. Thanks for the tips guys!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                It will work...trust me....lol
                Yes...so true...The only trick it to get the first drill in the center of the broken bolt and the increase drill sizes one at a time. The left handed drill bits are hit or miss....they work great when the bolt broke in shear not in thension like yours....make sure you drill deep enough but not to deep to releice the compression on the bottom of the screw.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

14-19 Lb-ft for the nut and bolt
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X