90 Festiva... Sat Too Long- Turns But Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Festiva... Sat Too Long- Turns But Won't Start

I just picked up another festiva... this one a red 1990 5-speed L Plus. I can not for the life of me get the thing to start. It turns over fine (though a little slow), The plugs look ok, I am getting spark all the way to the plugs, I drained all the old gas and put in new... When I crank it, I can smell gas. I pulled a gas hose after a bout of trying to start it, and there was plenty of pressure in the gas line. The timing belt turns fine, as does the rotor... I tried a couple shots of ether, even then, I got no hint that it wanted to start.
    HELP!!!!!
    Any ideas on why this thing won't start???

I'm not brilliant when it comes to this stuff, but does it fire at all? Firing order correct? Anything blocking the intake? Trash, birdsnest, clogged air filter?
    [Insert Profound Statement Here]
    http://ggacusterfluck.blogspot.com

Comment

Tried that... Still nothing

Thanks, Custer-
      I should've said so...I checked firing order (1-3-4-2) going counterclockwise on the cap... it all looked right. Also, I removed the air filter and looked in the box. Though there was some small debris (leaf pieces mostly) the air intake seems clean enough.

Thanks again! I am at a loss, so apparently I am not brilliant either! Like I say, all I know for sure is that it does crank, but does not even begin to catch.

Comment

Are the injectors firing? Listen to them while someone is cranking the engine. Make sure they are clicking.

Remove the intake tube and spray starting fluid into the intake and see if it will fire. It won't run without the tube connected but should fire.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Check your valve timing as the belt could have jumped, it has happened to a couple of my festivas.

The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Check the compression ,, could be stuck rings ... I had a VW go from 180# on all cylinders to 50-90# just from sitting... wouldn't suck hard enough when cranking to work the FI sensors...

Comment

Could be the air sensor. That is the funny looking air intake box on under the hood on the front passenger side. If anyone sprayed carb cleaner or something in it at some point it is no good. Not sure how you check it - I just know that it will crank & seem normal, but the car won't start.
              Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
              Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

Festiva Man to the rescue!

How about I fly in from Oklahoma and fix it for you this weekend? I'm not doing anything else and already have a plane ticket, so I'll see you on Friday at the Airport. 8)

John
                John
                92 Festiva 5 Speed, (My fifth Festiva).
                Project MPG

Comment

I buy 'em broke!!!!!! getitqwik@hotmail.com you probably love the car so much you would not go back and check two things. A battery connection that is snug and allows lights but no turnover of engine indicates a bad connection, the battery cable ends and posts need cleaned and reconnected. Also the car where the air filter is has a Mass Air Flow sensor that detects heat and uses that to open the vane to allow air into the throttle body. The connectors get loose and some of the individual connecting wires slip making contact either non-existent or spotty. This is a mjor problem as car will act normal but not start!! You need to disconnect and pull rubber boot down and reseat all the wires then reconnect and fire her up!! This problem is a major cause of ALL KIND OF UNNEEDED REPAIRS for the uninitiated. Remember you heard it from me!!!!
                  I buy 'em dead........ getitqwik@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X