sudden onset of pulsing brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X3

Maybe a bent rim, or bad tire but nothing up fornt.
    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
      Have you tried removing the spacers to see if the pulsation goes away?

Sometimes, brake pulsing is caused by lining material transferred from the pad/shoe to the rotor/drum. That happens after the brakes get hot and then the car stops rolling with the friction materials in contact with one another. Everytime that spot on the rotor/drum passes the lining material as the drum rotates, it'll drag and create a pusle. It usually won't go away on it's own.
      Was going to be my question. Pull the spacers and see if the pulse is still there. As bad. Worse. Whatever. Not sure why spacers would cause that, but since it seemed to start with the spacers, can't hurt to find out if it goes away without them.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I do need to try putting the old wheels back on... but I went a good long time with the spacers installed without any pulsing. Go figure. I WILL figure this out, and post the results here... :angry6:
        Thirdman
        1992 White Festiva L - original owner
        1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

Problem solved!

Problem solved!

Turns out it was...

...wait for it...

Warped Drums! I took it to a good ol' Brake Check and the guys there turned the drums and rotors (rotors were only a teeny tiny bit off), cleaned the calipers and flushed the brake system for $100, including tax. Stupid mechanic #1 should have done that initially for free.

Yay!!!
          Thirdman

Comment

Good deal... i could tell festyboy was getting a lil anxious. a lil bit of beentheredonethatitis.

I've got to get my brakes done.
            wish i could just replace rotors. but noo dont have a press.
            "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

Glad you found the problem.

"The mechanic claimed that the pulsing would be gone when I talked to him over the phone, but when I picked it up he said that the real cause of the pulse is that my rack is shot and my front right wheel is shaking on deceleration. They would be happy to replace the rack for a zillion dollars."

I had my rack replaced, due to a little play on the right passenger wheel, for $130. Bought the rack off ebay..

Just saying...

Comment

(ebay rack replacement worked out well; thanks for the encouragement)

Oh joy... brakes are now fading to the point of un-driveability. **** sigh ****
                Thirdman

Comment

change the fluid and check that your sliders are working properly
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X