Starter screech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter screech

My 92 GL automatic has a curious sometimes problem. Seems as though when the car sits for about a week without starting, sometimes, maybe about every 5 or 6 times it screeches when starting, as if the bendix does not engage the flywheel. I know it could be teeth missing off the flywheel, but does anyone think it could be not enough power to effectively energize the gear? It always starts on the second,non screeching try.

Possibly overrunning clutch in starter. You may be able to replace the starter clutch, but usually home mechanics replace the starter. Not engaging the teeth on starter clutch and flywheel is making the high pitched squeel. Sometimes can be shimmed. Ask for starter shims at places like autozone...pepboys and such. I buy 'em dead. You feel like you got a dead one let me know!!!! getitqwik@hotmail.com
    I buy 'em dead........ getitqwik@hotmail.com

Comment

Mine does it when the weather is absurdly cold (under 60 degrees F here in arizona). It's more than likely the clutch in your starter sticking and not disengaging when it's supposed to.
      GT

Comment

Stupid question, but are you sure your drive/alternator belt is not just a little loose. Sometimes cold weather will shrink the metal on the pullies enough to lessen the tension a bit. Just a stupid thing to overlook

Comment

Working...
        X