brake light problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake light problems

My brake lights recently decided to stay on all the time, even with the car off and the key out. Could someone tell me what might cause this and how I can fix it?
    1992 Subaru Legacy
    1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

Brake light switch has possibly gone bad. Should be able to get it at any auto parts store.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Okay. I thought about that, but didn't think it would make it stay on like that. Thanks.
      1992 Subaru Legacy
      1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

Comment

There isn't much to the switch. All it takes is a terminal to come loose so it makes contact, then it will stay on.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
        88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
        88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
        06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

No problem Gary. Thats what we're here for to help one another when we can.
          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
          - Unknown
          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I'm replying to this old thread instead of starting a new one about the same problem.

Rosie's brake light stays on all the time unless I remove the stop fuse.

With the fuse in the brake light will go off when I press the brake in but the come on again when I release the brake.
            Backwards from how it is supposed to work.

So I guess my switch must be bad but it seem strange that it works backwards.
            Anyone else had this same problem and did replacing the switch fix it?
            Last edited by 1990new; 04-17-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Not bad switch

I'm replying to this old thread instead of starting a new one about the same problem.

Rosie's brake light stays on all the time unless I remove the stop fuse.

With the fuse in the brake light will go off when I press the brake in but the come on again when I release the brake.
              Backwards from how it is supposed to work.

So I guess my switch must be bad but it seem strange that it works backwards.
              Anyone else had this same problem and did replacing the switch fix it?

Too late to edit so I'm posting again.
              I just replaced the switch with another one I had and it still did the same (on while brake is up off when I press the brake in the lights go off)... so it is not the switch.
              Last edited by 1990new; 04-17-2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

When you took the BL switch out did the Brake lights come on?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
                  When you took the BL switch out did the Brake lights come on?
                  No they did not...

Problem solved though...
                  The original switch that was in Rosie was rusty and didn't look to good so I used another one I had...
                  but it operates as closed while depressed instead of closed when not depressed. I had two like this
                  and the one I switched out to test with operated the same way.
                  I just found another one that closes the circuit when the switch is not depressed and opens the circuit when the button is depressed.

So the switch wasn't bad but I had been using two switches of the wrong type.

In this case two wrongs made a wrong.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a clutch switch was being used...
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The one on the left is the brake switch and the one on the right is apparently the clutch switch (which I had two of).

Dont try to loosen the bottom bolt. It is tack welded to the clutch/brake lever assembly.
                      See how I deformed the metal when I tried at first.

Comment

I am replying to this OLD thread - As this happened to our Sunryz - cam home and the brake lights were on one night, rocked the car and they go on/off. Found the little rubber bumper that depresses the switch pin had a hole worn in it. This is back a number of years when some parts were still available through Ford - had to buy a bag of - I think 6, but it cured the problem.
                        186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                        1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                        1992 aqua L (agua)
                        1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Working...
                        X