Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phillips Head srews on the crank pulley?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips Head srews on the crank pulley?????

There are two phillips head machine screws on the crank pulley of my '92 Festiva. I stripped the hell out of them when I removed them. Is it necessary to replace them. The reason I ask is because when I called the dealer for new ones, the parts guy told me that they are listed as "not necessary to replace" in the computer. I find it hard to believe that they put them there for no reason, but it does say that they aren't necessary. Does anyone have a clue as to why they are there and whether or not they really are needed?

Thanks,
    Bryan

IIRC, they are partly for attaching the A/C pulley to the crank pulley.. no A/C.. no need for them.

Comment

When you put it back together, be very careful tightening up the bolts. I think I've broken one off every time I've put one back together. They seem to snap with very little force. It makes me wonder if they aren't fatigued from use. I may replace all of them with new ones next time I do mine.

Comment

Just go to the hardware store or parts store and get a couple allen screws the same thread and length. These will work fine and will be easier to install/remove and are higher strength.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Had the same nightmare, removing those two screws. Did the same thing as mattswab. Replacing with allen screws insures that you might stand a chance of getting them off again.
          Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

Had the same nightmare, removing those two screws. Did the same thing as mattswab. Replacing with allen screws insures that you might stand a chance of getting them off again.
            Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

Working...
            X