What is "normal" oil consumption???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "normal" oil consumption???

I just drove my recently acquired Festiva from California to Nebraska and used about 2 quarts of oil (20w50) in 2200 miles. Based on some other cars that I have had, it doesn't seem out of line to me to use a quart of oil per 1000 miles in sustained highway driving, but this is my first Festiva, so I don't have any experience. What do others think? Just turned over 149,000 miles.Onree

With my first Festiva, which had 250,000 miles on it when I sold it, I used to go 5,000+ miles between oil changes(all interstate miles) using conventional oil. I never had to add oil and it was typically .5 quart low at oil change time.

With my current Festy, I change at least every 2,000 miles, because it's all short trips and the engine rarely gets up normal operating temp. Lately it's been .5 quart low at 2,000 miles, but, I have a small leak at the main crank seal, and I had some small leakage out of the valve cover gasket, which I just fixed.

Why are you running 20-50?? Way too heavy. Recommended is 10-30 for hot conditions, 5-30 for cooler conditions. I run 5-30 year round.

I'd switch to the recommended weight, then check for oil leaks.

Contrary to popular belief, using a heavier weight oil usually doesn't decrease oil consumption in an engine that is burning oil. The heavier oil is harder for the rings to clean off the cylinder walls, so more oil may pass by, increasing oil consumption.

Using a lighter weight oil can sometimes decrease oil consumption. Just depends on how worn the engine is.

Comment

Depends on the motor.

Sometimes a thinner oil helps the oil rings seal.

Sometimes a thicker oil helps.

Also brand and flavor have a lot to do with it. I burn Mobil1 like there's no tomorrow, but not nearly as much with any other brand/weight/build (conventional or synthetic).

If I had seen your post before you went to pick it up I would have suggested www.auto-rx.com It will clean out your ring packs for reduce consumption and increased compression or he'll give you your money back.

Would have been nice to run the cleaning phase on the way home. At least now you can use it and see how much it reduces your consumption. They recommend two full cycles for motors over 100k.

I know it's done wonders for all my vehicles.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
      X