removing festiva engine ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing festiva engine ????

Has any of you guys ever removed an engine from a festiva WITHOUT removing the transaxle?

I have a cracked head and want to replace the engine. The intake, head and exhaust manifolds are already off. Can I get the engine out while leaving the transaxle in place? I know there isn't a whole hell of a lot of room between the front of the engine and the passenger side fender. If its any help, this is a 5-speed car without A/C.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Wrong Forum... This belongs in the Repair Help forum...
    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

why would you not want to remove the engine/transaxle as an assembly?

Comment

Yes it can be done, I have done it a few times now. It takes a little more finesse, but it can be done fairly easily and don't forget that 10mm bolt on the bottom center of the thin trans cover which goes with the engine when pulled separately.

Comment

xpnsyd,

What exactly do you mean by "a little more finesse"?

The only cars I ever removed engines from were late '60s V-8 cars with automatic transmissions. The big problem here seems to be clearance between the front of the engine and the right side inner fender when both removing and installing the engine. Also, with the 5-speed, it looks like it might be difficult getting it back together with regards to the clutch.

Ant additional details with regards to this project would be appreciated.

Thanks,
          Bryan

Comment

No difference between the v8 cars. Just pull it, simple. If you want more clearance, remove the front crank pulley. I've pulled mine a few times while leaving the tranny in.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

You have to loosen the transmission dust shield when pulling the engine seperately or the dust shield hits the passenger side axle.

Bryan

Comment

Working...
              X