catalytic convertor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalytic convertor

Ok, I got the catalytic convertor off and looked inside. The cone is still there and i can see thru it. There is a little blockage about size of quarter right in the middle but otherwise the cone is clear. So, could it be the o2 sensor. Im running out of things it could be. I've never had catalytic convertor off, so if you look from one end to the other you should see light right. Or is there something missing on the ends.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

it can look just fine, but still be dead. Replace it.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ok, i will. Also took o2 sensor out and it is all sooted up and holes are blocked
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

ok, went and ordered my cat and o2 sensor, will have both thursday, put them in Fri, take car to emissions check Saturday. Not bad, only 119.00 both. If this dont bring HC emissions down, its gonna be a parts car.
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
          ok, i will. Also took o2 sensor out and it is all sooted up and holes are blocked
          eewww... was it sticky/oily at all, or was dry, hard and crusty? It being clogged is DEFINATELY part of your problem.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

It was hard and inside the cone but like i said it was only about size of quarter and i dont think it was all the way down from top to bottom. Ok, i have new cat on and i put on a new o2 sensor. Question: Old cat had a shield around it and was bolted on. There are clips on old one that it bolted to that new one don't have. Now im sure if i have to i can come up with a solution to put it back on, but does it have to go back on. I figure it was a hot shield because of the cat getting up to 750-900 degrees inside and was for protection against heat. Does it have to go back on.
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Hey MHB,

I think FB71 was referring to your o2 sensor in his last post.
              ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
              #2 .....Cheesehead
              #3 '91 White - Donor Car
              #4 .....Montana Project
              SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
              Bought her back for $450
              Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

oh, ok. It was just black soot. Dry, from oil burning when first started car up and oil around valve guides burned. When i shook it dry soot fell out. So i figured that was part of my problem. Now, speaking of 02 sensor, i think i read somewhere that you need to drive the car around some when you put new sensor in so it has a chance to adjust the gas and air mixture. Does that sound familiar to anyone. And when i started the car up and let it run, it did not smoke at all like it usually did. I did put some of that bardahls stop smoke in it and its been sitting for four days so maybe that stuff works. I did notice it stopped smokeing less after i put it in, and thats been about three weeks ago.
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
                  oh, ok. It was just black soot. Dry, from oil burning when first started car up and oil around valve guides burned. When i shook it dry soot fell out. So i figured that was part of my problem. Now, speaking of 02 sensor, i think i read somewhere that you need to drive the car around some when you put new sensor in so it has a chance to adjust the gas and air mixture. Does that sound familiar to anyone. And when i started the car up and let it run, it did not smoke at all like it usually did. I did put some of that bardahls stop smoke in it and its been sitting for four days so maybe that stuff works. I did notice it stopped smokeing less after i put it in, and thats been about three weeks ago.
                  The ECM will need to rebuild its fuel trim look-up tables, based on the new O2 sensor readings. Disconnect the battery for five minutes, reconnect, start engine, let idle for 5-10 minutes. Shut off, restart, go for 10-15 mile drive. Do some WOT accells from a stop, stop-and-go, steady-state cruise around 40-55mph during the drive.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I do not know anything about Cat Conv. but what if you just took the catalytic converter off and ran the car without it? If your problem no longer existed, then you would know this was part of it, right? Or wont a car perform without one on. Let me know bc my car is hesitating and perhaps its from a clogged converter. I am thinking of just tearing mine off and see if it improves (until i get the time to replace it plus No inspections in FL).

Comment

hesitation usually isn't cat related, and besides, some states (most) require at least a visual inspection of a cars emmission system, so if you remove the cat, you fail.

BTW, IMO, no inspections in FL is a load of bull, they had inspections and then got rid of them. it's just asking for trouble. CA has the same thing and have you ever watched Pimp My Ride? all those pieces of crap are actually legal to drive on the road even though they are blatently unsafe.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i know. Im not a big fan of no inspections... i think they are necessary.

Comment

I dont think inspections are necessary, it's bad enough we in california we have to pass smog every two years. emisions are so tight it causes $$$$.
                          and our DMV here is a big rip off.

My sugestion about the cat is yes it can clog and can cause hesitation.
                          I have seen where it was so badly clogged it cracked the exuast tube or blown head gaskets.
                          replace the cat it's worth a try! I have the same problem with car just dieing for no reason & I may change the cat.
                          my problem is finding a california approved cat. there isn't any.

Comment

If your cat is clogged up it usually looks like it was incredibly hot they will glow red when the exhaust cant get out. Sounds like you have a sensor problem if it has a stumbe and not passing emissions. I would look at all sensors there are ways around the emaissions tests. In Ohio if the car improves by 20% the car will pass had a corsica that wouldnt pass so I put a bunch of rags in the air box then tested it failed really bad went down the road take out the rags run it a bit and try again. Also putting in about 1/4 tank of E85 with your gas works too doesnt put out as much emissions got my corsica through good luck with it

Comment

One way to check a cat is if you feel the exhaust with your hand while the car is running. If it has a smooth feel no spurts than the cat is prolly clogged if it spurts or you can feel the cylinders firing than it is working properly
                              -Greg
                              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09
                              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                              X