New right side drive axle has no balance "doughnut"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New right side drive axle has no balance "doughnut"

I opened the box to my new right side CV axle. There is no balancing "doughnut" on the midshaft, although there is a raised part which looks like the balance thingie goes there.

Do I just take off my old balancer "doughnut" and reinstall? I haven't checked to see if it comes off or not.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I wouldn't mess with it. I believe you'd have to dissassemble the CV joints to get it off, I guess I've never really looked at it that close so I'm not sure.

I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to do, but I'm guessing it's there to reduce vibration. Don't think it really does that much though.

If you've ever jacked up a car and watched as the axle spins, many of them have a fair amound of wobble in the shaft.

Comment

That donut thingie is supposed to stop certain harmonics ,,, on my last Festy the donut was there spinning loose against the CV with the rubber rotted away from it's normal mounting position ... I simply positioned it with cardboard and made a connection by filling in with silicone ,,, it got rid of the awful sound of the ring spinning senselessly on the shaft but I found no other benefit from the "fix" ... I'd just install the shaft "as is" and let it go...

Comment

make 100% certain it's the correct axle for your car. I bought both the left and right from my local Advance Auto Parts and the one they gave me for the left side was the wrong axle. Correct box and correct number on the box, but the wrong axle in the box.

According to the manager they've had problems with certain remanufacturers mixing up parts. So, just be sure it's the correct one.

Beyond that, I'd prolly take it back, myself, and get another one that's complete. But, that's just me.

Comment

that little donut is there to reduce the amplitude of certain harmonic frequencies, and change the resonant frequency of the axle. It never really did anything for balance. Its not required to be there. It was there originally to attempt to reduce some noise inside the cabin, but never really had much effect.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

[quote="TJinPgh"]make 100% certain it's the correct axle for your car. I bought both the left and right from my local Advance Auto Parts and the one they gave me for the left side was the wrong axle. Correct box and correct number on the box, but the wrong axle in the box.

According to the manager they've had problems with certain remanufacturers mixing up parts. So, just be sure it's the correct one.

quote]

That happened to my dad as well. He tried for a couple hours to get it assembled and finally gave up. Took it back to the store, and it was one for an automatic, not manual.

Comment

None of the Remanufactured Festiva CV joints have them. If you happen to find a NOS OEM CV joint it'll be there.. But I have rebuilds on all my Festivas no problems..

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
                None of the Remanufactured Festiva CV joints have them. If you happen to find a NOS OEM CV joint it'll be there.. But I have rebuilds on all my Festivas no problems..
                Dunno. Mine did. Think CCT did the reman.

Comment

I've had a cv shop rebuild mine, but he only rebuilt the joints themselves, so I kept my original shaft. Other than that, I've yet to see one come with it from a remfg company.. But then again.. I didn't think there was ever a 91 4 door Ford Festiva (not Kia) before I saw one.

Comment

Thanks guys. As long as it fits, I'll use it.

Karl

Comment

I got a reman shaft and put my old little donutty thingy onto the shaft. Seems to work fine , ??
                      Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

Hi Biff, how did they come off your old shaft and reattach to the new one? Did you have to take the CV axle apart at all?

Karl

Comment

yes , I can't remember which side, but a snap ring on each side of the splined cross, take inner one off first, slide cross in, take outer ring off, slide cross off, then you can slide the balancer off and put onto new shaft.

It's been six months since I did mine, i'am a little foggy but the above should do it.. have fun,,,
                          Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

Originally posted by TJinPgh
                            make 100% certain it's the correct axle for your car. I bought both the left and right from my local Advance Auto Parts and the one they gave me for the left side was the wrong axle. Correct box and correct number on the box, but the wrong axle in the box.

Beyond that, I'd prolly take it back, myself, and get another one that's complete. But, that's just me.
                            Hi all, new here. Proud owner of 90 FF LX since 1993, have put 120k on it. Not my primary any more but I still enjoy driving it.

I also sent TJinPgh a PM about this, I figured I would put up a post here too since I want to work on this on Saturday and all advice before then would be really helpful.

I have received the driver's side manual trans reman CV halfshaft, Advance Auto/Car Component Technologies. I am skeptical, particularly after reading the above, that is the right part since it has a 30 mm axle nut on it and the stock one is 29 mm. I really would rather find out if it isn't right before rather than after taking stuff apart.

Has anyone out there had this part with the 30mm nut and had it turn out to fit? What would be another surefire way to check if this is the right one? One of the things I have to do, if it is wrong, is convince the people at Advance that in spite of it being the right p/n and right box, it's not the right one, which would be easy enough if I took both of them in to the store for comparison. (Don't want to do that.) And hopefully even get the right one from them, which will be even harder.

It would be great to hear from people who have been in this situation before and find out what happened.

Thanks a lot... The Forum has already been helpful since I found out that Autozone has replacement speedo cables, which I never knew!

Pete

Comment

Welcome Pete!

I just went to my garage and checked my new remanufactured right CV axle that I got at A-Zone. The axle nut is 29mm. The large part number on the end of the box is 7674. The logo is covered with a tag, but it looks like "CCT."

Don't know how much help this is.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X