hesitation in 1st and 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hesitation in 1st and 2nd gear

i've had my festy for about 6 months and its had this problem and it seems to be getting worse.
    whenever i just start up my car and pull away in 1st and 2nd gear it has a bad hesitation.
    but after i drive for a bit it stops happening.
    i've done some things to try and solve this issue:

changed cap and rotor
    checked plugs and wires and they are good
    changed the fuel filter

after doing these things it still has the hesitation.
    it also burns up the main fusable link like every 1000 miles

91 L, 5 Speed
    90 323, auto

Originally posted by loyt06 View Post
    i've had my festy for about 6 months and its had this problem and it seems to be getting worse.
    whenever i just start up my car and pull away in 1st and 2nd gear it has a bad hesitation.
    but after i drive for a bit it stops happening.
    i've done some things to try and solve this issue:
    changed cap and rotor
    checked plugs and wires and they are good
    changed the fuel filter
    after doing these things it still has the hesitation.
    it also burns up the main fusable link like every 1000 miles
    Other stuff to try:
    1. stick a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Get the kind that says it cleans the valves, combustion chamber, and injectors (not that our cars have injectors)
    B. change the O2 sensor

Burning up the main fusible link is a worry. Maybe a short somewhere? These two issues might be related.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

mine just started to do the same thing recently, but i havent had the main fusable link burn up. I also am wondering what it is because it goes away when the car starts to warm up. weird

Comment

well i know that some times if the throttle body is dirty or cuddy that it will have hesitation and stalling when first started or cold i would clean the hrottle body and like TominMO said it might be a short that is burning the fusable link.

Comment

first replace the coolant temp sensor on the intake closest to the PCV valve

and second check the alternator power lead that runs under the intake manifold

I am the original

Comment

ok so i just went for a long drive and parked it at my house
            then about 10 mins later i tried starting it
            and now it starts up but stalls....
            it runs for like 2 seconds then dies
            where is the fuel pump at?
            i tried to listen for it at the gas tank when the key is turned but couldn't hear anything
            i just changed the spark plug wires too

91 L, 5 Speed
            90 323, auto

Comment

it is fuelinjected right if so it is under the back seat their is a accses panel you have to take off and can get to the top of the tank.

Comment

we dont have injectors? i thought we has a muti-port set up?

Comment

i dont know if he does haha

Comment

yeah it is fuel injected.
                    i found the hatch under the seat.
                    and some change and a golf tee lol
                    i removed the cap on the top of the fuel tank where the pump is attached
                    and it seems like the fuel pump is kicking on but then shuts off once the key turns back
                    i dont know much about this....
                    any ideas?

91 L, 5 Speed
                    90 323, auto

Comment

Originally posted by 19festiva90 View Post
                      we dont have injectors? i thought we has a muti-port set up?
                      Major oops. For some reason I was assuming we had SPFI like older Subarus. Checked the Haynes manual and found out we have MPFI. I'm kinda surprised they went to this trouble/expense for a cheap (but very good) little motor.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

ok i feel really smart
                        i tripped up the o2 sensor thats why it stopped idling.
                        haha
                        i guess im off to clean the intake and see if that solves my original prob

91 L, 5 Speed
                        90 323, auto

Comment

the fuel pump is controlled by the VAF meter and only works when cranking the engine and drawing air through it

check the wiring schematics at the top of this forum

I am the original

Comment

If this helps... I just replaced my o2 sensor and it solved my hesitation problems in first and second gear after startup. haha i know my solution is a little late but better late then never right. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                            X