gas tank sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank sender

Have a carbed 89 L. Sender reads full or empty, nothing in bewteen. Heading to the junkyard tomorrow. Never been to this particular yard. Will any Festiva sender work? I assume the carbed car has a fuel pump on the engine and the EFI car has an in-tank, but the sender works in both types of cars.

Also, will an Aspire sender work if I can find that?

Thanks
    89 L

You need the sender out of a carb'd car as the FI'd ones incorporate the fuel pump and sender into one assembly.
    Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

I fixed my 89 L carbed gas tank sender the other week. I got a sender/pump setup from a EFI 91 L I think. The bolt pattern of the assembly is different so it doesn't bolt to carbed tank. But the guts of the sender are pretty much the same. So I pried the small metal cover off of the sender and sure enough the reostat was frayed on my carbed sender. Anyway I was able to swap that little part with the winding from the EFI sender. I had to solder the red lead to the carbed sender to get the signal to work.

89 L

Comment

If you need a sender I have an extra one for a carb'd Festiva I want to get rid of...

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Doh, I guess I should have asked the forum first. I guess we'll see how long my fix lasts. The PO drove without a gauge for 6 years and kept her mileage in a check book.

89 L

Comment

has anyone had a problem with it reading only for about 100 miles? i would fill the tank run about 50 miles and it would start moving as the car goes left and right the gage goes up and down by the time you get to 100miles it does read no more. my other festiva did the same, anyone know why?

Comment

That's exactly what mine was doing. By the time it hit 100 miles, it would just about drop to empty. Sometimes around turns it would blip up to half a tank, but then drop back down.

Basically it was the winding inside the sender. It was worn through and frayed. One thing I was surprised about was, everything was fairly clean in the tank. The sock was intact and clean, there wasn't any rust on anything, no real corrosion to speak of.

89 L

Comment

Working...
              X