cooling fan sticking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling fan sticking.

My car is heating up when idling. I noticed I didn't hear the fan so I tapped it pretty hard and it started up. When it shuts off it won't start again without a kick in the pants. The motor seem to be sticking. It doesn't go real fast then when it starts. Can these motors be lubricated or should I replace it? How can I take the blade off the motor? Seems to be no way to take it off. Do I have to spend 80 some dollars for a whole new fan and shroud? Thanks
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

assembly

The fan motor is manufactured as an assembly. There are two versions for a Festiva. Both versions are for different fan blades and are not interchangeable. The fan motor body is staked together, so that it is non-serviceable and intended to be replaced as a unit. Here is a picture of what the newer motor looks like with a part number:

Good luck.

Comment

Do I have to spend 80 some dollars for a whole new fan and shroud? Thanks
      No. I couldn't find a radiator thin enough to allow the fan and shroud to be fitted in my '92 GL that would clear the automatic transmission, so I removed the shroud/fan assembly and replaced it with one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-U...QQcmdZViewItem

You should be able to find a cheap one at a local parts store.

Works fine, better than the old one. Really depends on if you want to keep it original.

BTW: Don't throw the old one out, they sell for over $80 on ebay.
      Last edited by gotrootdude; 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

what was the outcome?

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
          My car is heating up when idling.
          How are your radiator, coolant and thermostat?

If the rad is clogged, you can feel warm and cold spots on it. Time to replace. If you replace it, also replace all hoses and maybe keep the old ones as emergency spares.

If it's uniformly warm all over, try new coolant (I like 50/50 premix). If that doesn't help, maybe the thermostat is sticking partially closed. Get a new one from Ford, not the inadequate McParts-store ones.
          Last edited by TominMO; 08-11-2009, 03:54 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            How are your radiator, coolant and thermostat?

If the rad is clogged, you can feel warm and cold spots on it. Time to replace. If you replace it, also replace all hoses and maybe keep the old ones as emergency spares.

If it's uniformly warm all over, try new coolant (I like 50/50 premix). If that doesn't help, maybe the thermostat is sticking partially closed. Get a new one from Ford, not the inadequate McParts-store ones.
            it is heating up because the fan is not kicking on from what he is saying.

Man....do you really like the pre-mix. I can't see paying the same price for half the antifreeze...JMO.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
              it is heating up because the fan is not kicking on from what he is saying.

Man....do you really like the pre-mix. I can't see paying the same price for half the antifreeze...JMO.
              Oh, I thought he meant it was heating up more than normal, and that's why the fan was kicking on.

I like the premix only because it makes things simpler. No worries about whether the container you were looking at was straight or 50/50. Bear in mind that soft drinks and beer are almost all water too! :-)
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

one parts store had on sale 2 gallons of premix for $10.00

Comment

Working...
                X