distributor / timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor / timing?

I replaced my whinny distributor last week and now I believe my timing is off. It doesn't run right when I first start it up and there's a lack of power.

I marked the new distributor (come off my blown engine) where it was sit on the engine, and placed in the same spot on my engine. I think I should have lined it up with old distributor?

Anybody ever have a problem with this. Also, it seems to run quite like my old engine, i.e. idle erratic, not as much power: could there be something wrong with this distributor, or was the timing off on my old engine?

btw. It's a 93 FI. I only see posts here of setting the timing on carbed festys.

Is it the same with fuel injected? Actually seeing it in my head. If I turned the distributor, I wouldn't be affecting the timing. I would be turning the distributor cap, towards or away from the rotor button, as the spark it controlled by the computer (if I'm correct in my thinking?) Maybe I'm thinking too much

Do anyone have have any ideas?

In the meantime, I'm gonna turn the disty a little back or forth to see what happens.

Comment

2 Points

1. When you turn your distributor you do change your timing.
      2. Setting the timing is easily done with a timing light.

1. The timing is changed because the rotor is spun by the engine, and when you turn your distrubutor the spark will jump across the gap at a slightly different time, in relation to the crankshaft.
      This is done because it takes time for the fuel to combust, and to get the most power from your engine you want the expansion of the gas to happen just a hair after your engine piston is at the top of its compression stroke. The gas forces the piston down...Power.

2. The part you really want is here. To set the timing in an EFI Festiva (mine is a 92) You will need a timing light, or can try to do it by ear. I suggest a timing light.
      Pop your hood and look at your timing belt cover. If it is there and is a festiva cover (aspire covers lack this part) your will notice a part of it is sticking out over your crank shaft pully. This has a mark on it with a "T". When you hook up your timing light you will notice a mark on your crank shaft pully. You simply line it up with the T by rotating your distributor. This is 10 deg Before Top Dead Center. This is factory stock timing.
      If you are lacking a timing belt cover, or your cover doesn't have this, it is still fairly easy to time.
      First remove your timing belt cover (I assume you know all the steps to this). This will mean putting your car up on jackstands and removing a wheel and some plastic shields, and alternator belt and what have you. After your get the cover removed, crank your engine over until it is at top dead center (Do this with a wrench). Some people will say to remove your spark plugs, but I never had problems with leaving them in. Now you will see a mark on your crank shaft pully. Rotote your engine 10 Deg. BEFORE this point. This can be guessed at or protracted out. Someone tell me if I am wrong, but I believe when you are looking at this it will be 10 Deg COUNTER-Clockwise. Then make a corresponding mark on yopur timing belt cover once it is back on. Don't turn the engine. Now that you have the mark you can use your timing light to time the engine by linging up the two marks.

All corrections appreciated. My manual is in my car.

Comment

Working...
      X