Festiva with Manual Tranaxle Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva with Manual Tranaxle Troubles

I got a blue Festiva for free and the engine sounds like it runs great. However, it appear the transaxle has issues. The shifter feels like its not in any gear, maybe bent shift forks. So I decided to pull the transaxle, but I can't seem to get the half shafts out. Is this normal? Should I be more brutal, or is there a correct way to pull the axles?

i hate to say this, but are you sure the transaxle is at fault?????

the top arrow bushing , could be at fault.

there are several posts on this subject in this forum, try using the search button above before posting next time , and there are old posts on how to remove the axle shafts.

Comment

I'm not sure... I'll have to check that out, before I go any further with it.

I did get the short side shaft out with a slide hammer, but I destroyed the CV joint on that side doing it. The long side it still in, and its CV boots are fine. I looked around for removing axle shaft posts, but I mostly read people trying to avoid it ie. pulling the motor to replace the clutch. I think I should get a replacement axle nut so I can lock to my old one to the side hammer.

Have you read any posts about transaxle undercradle to frame bolts holes spinning?

One last thing, I'm looking for a factory manual, and I was trying to figure out if a 92-93 factory manual will work for a 91?

Thanks so much for the info. I'll send pictures of my Alaskan Festiva in the garage.

Comment

92 manual will work for the 91.. virtually the same. I had a big problem taking out the drivers side axel once. Finally I took drastic measures and disconnected the tie rod, and swaybar and used a big tow chain and a spare lug bolt.. Bolted the chain to the hub and did the whip snap method.. which worked.. but I only did it that way because I was out of alternatives..

Comment

Originally posted by kyrias
          Have you read any posts about transaxle undercradle to frame bolts holes spinning?
          Mine did. I have to pull my tranny from above.

Originally posted by kyrias
          One last thing, I'm looking for a factory manual, and I was trying to figure out if a 92-93 factory manual will work for a 91?
          It should work fine.

I had a tranny problem with my 1st festiva. The shift gate inside the tranny broke. It broke in 3rd gear and I had to drive home like that. I was able to move the shifter all over the place and it wouldn't shift out of a gear.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I've never had any problems removing the shafts on a Festiva(other cars, yes), they usually pop out pretty easily. What seems to help is if it doesn't pop when you pry, turn the axle 90°, then pry again. If it still doesn't go, rotate again. I usually get them out after 2 or 3 tries.

I don't get why anyone would pull the engine/tranny out together to change the clutch. Besides, you still have to pull the axles regardless of whether you remove just the tranny or both. Last time I replaced the clutch, a buddy helped me, and we had the tranny out in less than 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
            X