sporadic stallling at various rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sporadic stallling at various rpm

Hi, I have owned a 1988 Festiva for over two years without a hitch. As of three weeks ago, I started to experience a sporadic stall at most any engine speed. I have replaced plug wires, plugs, rotor cap, rotor bug, ignition control module, removed and cleaned carburetor, changed fuel filter, replaced fuel pump, and cleaned EGR valve. I am very frustrated because after doing all this, I still have these random episodes of stalling and extreme hesitation. Please help. I can't afford to keep replacing parts until the problem is solved. Oh, and I also considered that water in the tank may be a problem so I also have put two bottles of heet into the tank. ARRRGH!

Clean your battery terminals and connectors. See if that helps.
    GT

Comment

Have you noticed any specific links to the stalls? Like rainy days or bumps etc?

Comment

Sounds like a bad connection. I'd start it up, and start wiggling connectors and wires in the engine bay, under the dash, and on you fuel pump. Lightly tap anything that is connected.

I'd also check my fuse block and see what the connectors are like on it. I had to remove my block and hook all the wires together fuseless, as when I moved it they all broke off the block being as corroded and green at they were. (btw. I removed my alternator as I never unhooked the battery and it blew whatever connection that was left on the block off. Which led me to remove the block. Moral, unhook your battery when you work on the alternator).

Comment

There have been no links that I can recall to rain or rough pavement or even speed. I will say that at lower rpms with some consistency, I noticed the engine would sputter and stall less however once I started to climb in rpms it was more likely to fall on its face. I will also try and clean the terminals, they are somewhat corroded. Thanks.

Comment

How about a different perspective. When I start the car first thing in the day, it idles real high for a while then slowly idles down. It never idles though below 1000-1200 rpmish(don't have a tach). Not moving the car from its parked position, after a short time idling it will just cut out like I shut the car off. If I get back in the car after this happens, pump the accelerator and turn the ignition it will usually come back to life, but not always immediately. When this problem first started, the car would only run at very high rpms and if I let it drop too low, the engine would stall. Also if I pumped the accelerator pedal very quickly when it was trying to fail, it would at least keep it sputtering along, almost like it was bad fuel. I don't know.. Does this give anybody any ideas?? Thanks!

Comment

don't know much about the carb's but sounds like a fuel delivery problem or definitely something when the computer cuts in.

Comment

Working...
              X