Left turn signal problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left turn signal problem

Recently my red baron ran into an issue with the left turn indicator. Therear one works, but the front one doesn't for some bizarre reason. I've tried replacing the bulb in the front, and I've tried switching the indicator itself over from the right side..still no go. The left rear works, but it flashes incredibly fast. About twice the normal rate of the indicator.

I'm puzzled as to what it could be. Anyone ever run into this problem before?

it's probably a short... i have a short on mine also.. my short was near the bulb so i turned it on and shook the wires tilll the wires till the caught and started working again... it's not a complete fix but it hasn't disconnected in the past month

Ford Festiva L
    Automatic

Comment

Put on the hazard lights and that will give you a clue, are they working OK, if one side is going fast that means a bulb has a blown element or you have a connection problem.

the most troublesome indicator fittings are the ones mounted in the bumper, replace those lamps and if the lamps are black change them also, you should buy yourself one of the 12v screw driver type testers and you can "prove" you have 12v, corrosion and lack of tension especially for the monsoon type, also make sure the lamps you are fitting have the correct bayonet for the socket, rear and front cluster.
      "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

^ X2. a tester is cheap (<$5), and will be very helpful in many situations. I have one, i think i got a wal mart that uses LED's, and lights up green when the current goes one way, and red the other, so it helps me figure out what is hot.
        -Tim
        93 Festy L- Little Red
        98 Ranger- The golf ball
        92 Accord- The $20 car (R.I.P)
        73 F-100 (looking for a 302)

"Wait... you mean they pay people to fix their cars? Idiots..."

Comment

not a short, a short would cause a blown fuse. it's an OPEN in the front harness, run 2 new wires from the main harness trunk out to the indicator and you should be back in business.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I tested the hazard lights..the front left indicator still isn't working. I tried jiggling all the wires around, I've replaced the bulb..swapped the connection over from the right side and it's still a no go. My running lights work in the rear(brake lights..both filaments). It seems like an extremely isolated problem..as none of my other indicators have any burnt out lights or anything of that sort.

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            not a short, a short would cause a blown fuse. it's an OPEN in the front harness, run 2 new wires from the main harness trunk out to the indicator and you should be back in business.
            So basically bypass the front harness, and use the indicator from the rear? Would that still cause it to flash really fast?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post

try the most common cause:
              RUST in the bulb socket
              because the lens seal can easily go bad and water can puddle under the assembly

correction:
              pull apart the assembly, and clean the outer ground casing and inner positive button with sand paper or emery cloth or replace socket

I am the original

Comment

^^ I believe he said he swapped the right and left side, and still no go. Assuming he meant he cut and spliced the right to left and left to right. My Dak used to do that from time to time, ended up tracing the wires (which was fun as my problem was the rear signal) and found a spot where in the original wiring of the truck, they had a little left over and looped it. After 20 years, the loop became a kink and had broken the wire so that it rarely, if ever, made a connection.

Believe your best bet is either going to be doing what Festyboy said, or tracing the wire all the way and look for kinks/missing coating that could cause a short/open situation. The fact that the hazards don't work either tells me it's probably a broken wire.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

no, don't go so far as the rear lamp harness, just open the main trunk at the firewall and go from there, that's the easiest way to fix it (IMHO).
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So just an update. It turns out it was a burnt out bulb, but not the bulb I thought it was.
                    Here's a picture for reference:

Light B is the turn signal indicator, and Light A is the Park lights I guess you could call it. The bulb in light B was burnt out, causing the sped up blinker. But I'm so sure on my old festiva that light A was the turn signal indicator, as it seems like the most likely one since it's also visible from the side.

Is this right or wrong?

Comment

that right.

parking lights are next to the headlight.

blinkers are on the bumper.

Comment

That just seems really strange. If you think about it, if you're coming out of an alley or something, or a side road..no one can tell which way you're going unless they're looking right at you..

Comment

^^ So true. A little creativity and one could modify the corner light with a dual element lamp and appropriate socket. This mod has been on the back burner here. Maybe running lights in the old signal locations in the facia.

Comment

my blazer is liek that too, but there simotainious, i think its sweet. and wish the festiva did it too.

Comment

I was testing it out, and my friend's JDM 89 Festiva has turn signals on the corner lights. I'm not sure as to why his does and mine doesn't, but it..how you say..sucks. It seems like such a small, needed feature

Comment

Working...
                              X