crankcase breather....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crankcase breather....

what do these little filter do? Should they be the place of the PCV, or the other hose going into the air intake?

With all the blow-by of my engine, this might be a good idea.... maybe even an oil trap!

Breather

Well, leave the PCV alone. It's completely different and has a specific purpose. The breather hose, on the other hand, is there primarilly to allow the engine to vent air pressures and blow-by that build during the combustion process and just reburn it all.

In the case of most recip engines the hose is routed from the top of the valve cover to the intake (as you know) allowing oil to be blown in as well. You could just pull the hose from the valve cover and put a breather filter there... thats what I did, but I also built a cold air intake for it, so there was a reason that I did what I did.

If you put one on but decide to keep you OEM plumbing from the airbox to the throttlebody, then just cut off the nipple on the airhorn that the hose attatched to and patch it over, or leave the nipple there and just plug it. Be aware that if you don't get an airtight seal, you're allowing unmetered air to bypass the MAF and your engine won't run correctly if at all.

I've had mine on for over a year(breather filter) and it just now needs to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
    X