Hey Darkdan ,,, Oil Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Darkdan ,,, Oil Question...

Do you know who makes the full synthetic house brand for WalMart and what do you think of it?

Where are you located at? Here it is bottled by WPP, but I have heard in a few regions it's Mobil. Look at the bottom of the container and if it has a WPP on the bottom it's WPP if not Mobil. Over on bobtheoilguy forums there is a UOA of it. They also make Mach 1 so most likely the specs are very similiar.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

it is OK but not great..not really full synthetic..more of a blend, but it is still not bad for the price.

I buy mobil1 b/c its one of the best & most readily availalbe oils out there.
      Wil
      02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
      00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
      05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
      93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
      96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
      93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

I never cared for Mobil 1. All the cars/trucks i've had Mobil 1 in seemed to be a bit noiser. And all of them seemed to like Castrol synthetic and Havoline convential alot better. I have Penzoil Plantuim i'm looking forward to trying next, O'Reillys has castrol and penzoil on sale for 3.99. Probably darkdan knows more but I don't think supertech synthetic is anywhere close to a blend. I think it's in the same group as castrol and few others.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Supertech synthetic is made by WPP (warren petro products....).

It's a group III synthetic (not IV like Mobil1, AMSOIL, etc).

One of my favorite oils actually.

It's the cheapest group III synthetic you will find. It has an additive package better then most Valvoline products. It performs great in 5k drain intervals.

Supertech conventional is a regional product. ExxonMobil, Warren, and a few others make it depending on what part of the country you are in.

I've used ST Syn for a few auto-rx treatments. It held up very well in a 3k+ mile drain even while it was being used to clean. I actually have about 5 quarts in my garage right now.....it's going into my GF's 78 Monte Carlo for the winter (group III 5w30 flows better then conventional 5w30 and her car isn't nice enough to use AMSOIL because it leaks like a stuck pig).
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

i thought it was a blend, that what i read on BITOG from some older thread.

did it recently change to true-synthetic?

what kind of detergents are in it?
            Wil
            02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
            00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
            05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
            93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
            96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
            93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

There is a blend labelled blend, but I think it's been discontinued.

However, the ST Syn should be synthetic. If it's labelled as such it needs to be like 80% synthetic or something.

By synthetic of course I mean group III hydrocracked and not group IV PAO. So not really a synthetic, but thanks to castrol it can be called a synthetic.

I haven't seen a virgin oil sample of the new SM formulas, but here's the old SL:

Calcium: 2082
              Magnesium: 9
              Phos: 775
              Zinc: 868

Moly: 21

Obviously not the best oil out there. But great for the price.
              www.dantheoilman.com
              AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
              Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
              Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
              X