A/C Retrofit Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Retrofit Part II

The other thread was getting long so I've started a new one.

I have an 88lx Fest and have retrofitted with A/C. The system has been sealed and charged and actually works! Well, kinda...

When we first wired the system but were missing the hard parts to be able to charge the system, you could press the button on the dash and the indicator light would light.

Just a few days ago we finally got the system sealed and charged and the switch does not light. We pulled it out and it's fine.

We are using an Alldata diagram and the Festiva Factory Service manual to find out why it's not working.

We got to some step where a jumper is required off of a wire on the AC relay. When we jumped it the compressor came to life and we had cold AC. We thought we had discovered a short.

Apparently,there is a short but we cannot seem to find it.

Does anyone have any ideas that I might use to troubleshoot this thing?
    88 LX - Twin turbo, Intercooled :p
    Recently re-chistened from "Cheapstiva" to "Expenstiva"

Well this may seem like a dumb suggestion but did you make sure the blower switch was at least in the #1 low position when you tryed the button??

Comment

Yes I had the blower switch on.

I have checked all the relays and I am having a power loss at one of the relays. Wierd part is that the the relays all work.

If there are any electrical experts here, please feel free to chime in.

If I jump power to the compressor, everything works.

During this time the light on the A/C switch has not come on...

Comment

Maybe a bad low pressure switch??
        Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
        1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Nope. Low pressure switch is good. The connections to the compressor and the pressure switch are good as well. I have checked the relays and they are all working. Problem is that I'm not getting power to the ECA (amplifier) and I'm not getting power in the black line with the white stripe.

I have the manual and diagrams and still can't make heads or tails of it. However, if I tap power to the compressor, the clutch engages and I get cold A/C.

Also, the light on the dash switch does not work. I have tested it and swapped it with a few other switches to no avail.. I suppose I can run a simple switch, but I'd prefer to keep it looking factory if possible...

Any other ideas?
          Last edited by Pu241; 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM. Reason: clairity

Comment

Found out that the wiring was FUBAR, so rewired and added new switch with the blessings of my A/C guy and we now have A/C !!!! Yippeee!!!

Next project is swapping the gas tank...

Comment

Whoooo-hoooooooo!!!!!
              1989 Red L- The Baron
              www.letstalkbeatles.com
              Link to Baron Pics:
              http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
              1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Working...
              X