Sounds from my wheel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds from my wheel!

ok, this stupid sound is comming from my front left wheel, only when i turn the steering wheel past 10 degrees Counter Clockwise. I have no clue why this is happening... im not pressing the brakes either so it cant be that. its kinda like a sqeeling noise but in pulses... HELP!

Maybe the CV joint?
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

well is it when you turn in the other direction?
      and if so then it would be wheel bearing

Comment

Sounds more to me like a bearing. CVs, at least the ones I've had go bad, are more clicking than squealing.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
          Sounds more to me like a bearing. CVs, at least the ones I've had go bad, are more clicking than squealing.
          Yeah, I'm just kind of confused by the way he describes it..."squeeling noise, but in pulses". I thought it may be the clicking of the cv, because I have no idea what a bad bearing sounds like
          "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Next time you hear the noise lightly press the brake pedal. Let us know if it goes away. Sounds like you may have a brake pad noise. At last that's what it was on my Sundance! It sounded exactly like you described. Squeal.... Squeal.... Squeal.... Squeal, But when you pressed the brake pedal it stopped. I took the pads off and put on some new brake pad shims and it went away.
            1988 L - aka: Underdog
            1990 L - soon to be trailer
            1994 Aspire (Looks like an egg)

Comment

if a bearing is starting to go your rotor can wobble back and forth and rub on the brake pads. Turning will torque the top or the bottom of the rotor to one side depending on which way you are turning.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Still leaning toward bearing, but I guess it can't hurt to check the brakes. The sound he described is pretty much how mine sounded before I did the front bearings.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I just mentioned the Sundance because it happened to me recently, it is however a different beast! If I were you I'd listen to these guys, they've been around Festiva's longer than I have! I've owned mine for a month and haven't driven it yet....
                  1988 L - aka: Underdog
                  1990 L - soon to be trailer
                  1994 Aspire (Looks like an egg)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez View Post
                    Next time you hear the noise lightly press the brake pedal. Let us know if it goes away. Sounds like you may have a brake pad noise. At last that's what it was on my Sundance! It sounded exactly like you described. Squeal.... Squeal.... Squeal.... Squeal, But when you pressed the brake pedal it stopped. I took the pads off and put on some new brake pad shims and it went away.
                    The braking barely inurupts the sqeeling... but it sounds like a bike tire and when one point of the tire touches the rubber pad it sqeels a tiny bit louder... that help the sound question? Its only when i turn it left though thats where im confused!!!

Comment

What size tires are you running on it? Are you running stock rims or aftermarket? Have you lowered it in any way? Sounds more like youve got a tire rubbing on the spring perch.
                      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                      - Unknown
                      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Its all stock except I have 13" tires because someone sliced them... It isnt lowered yet. I am afraid its an alignment problem...

Comment

What size are the tires themselves? Too big and theyll rub.
                          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                          - Unknown
                          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Had a squeaking in mine once, it was one of the pins that hold the brake pads to the caliper. One of the keepers had broke and fallen out and when I made a turn it would rub the rim and squeak until I made a turn in the other direction. Sometime it would keep squeaking, sometimes it wouldn't.
                            1960 willys pickup
                            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                            1989 festiva
                            1990 festiva for parts
                            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                            X